Shift lever Screw

Previous topic - Next topic

glennd3

I managed to break the shift lever screw in two yesterday while docking. I read the threads on this site, I called Edson and they are sending me 2 screws free of charge. The rep was very nice and accommodating. Now all I have to do is get the other half of the screw out of the shaft. I also have to find why shifting the trans is a little tight, the real reason for my situation. I hate it when that little voice in your head is right, I remember it saying to me to check the tight shifting out....
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

Glenn : The tight shifting is probably the cable, but remove it from the shift lever on the transmission and check the shifting by hand.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

glennd3

Thanks for the tip, will do. I wanted to look when I got into the slip but it was 90 out and had run the engine for 2 hours so it was going to be hot. Also want to check about moving where the cable attaches to the trans to see if I can reduce the distance the lever moves.

Quote from: Ron Hill on June 29, 2020, 02:10:31 PM
Glenn : The tight shifting is probably the cable, but remove it from the shift lever on the transmission and check the shifting by hand.

A thought
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Graham

As to getting the old screw out, if a pair of mole grips does not work, use a punch to create a drill guide and then use a very small drill to start with and then use progressively larger drills.  Be careful to not damage housing but if you do just use a larger self-tapping A4 screw.  I pulled two broken screws from the shift lever and it sounds worse than it is.  Hope this helps.
Graham
C34 Mk II #1376 Smooth Jazz
Chichester, West Sussex, UK

Ron Hill

Glen : On the cable to the transmission lever attachment - you want the MAXIMUN throw on that lever!!!!!
To make sure it is fully engaged when in Forward and Reverse !!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

dfloeter

How is it that we can shear a bolt with the lever.  I did it too and had to use vise grips to get back to the dock.  The replacement was a ΒΌ-28 bolt and the stub came out with left handed drill bits without too much trouble. Is there a reason to not use the tougher grade 8 bolts for this application?
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

glennd3

When I spoke to the Edson rep he stated it is imperative to keep the screw tight, suggested thread lock.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

Glenn : If you use thread lock please use #2 Locktite) NOT #1 or you'll NEVER get that handle off the shaft!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

glennd3

I was able to remove the broken screw easily. I used a punch the a small drill bit and was able to walk it out just by reversing the drill with the drill bit. It is nice to have good luck every now and then. I then checked the cable and trans and that all seemed fine to me. I do not have any way to increase the throw of the shifter as it already was set that way. The trans fluid was also full. I removed the rear wood bulkhead in the q birth and inspected all the cables and pulleys, All good. Also 100 degrees on the Chesapeake today! Thanks for everyone's help.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

wingman

I had the same problem on a Catalina 320, even sheared off the screw as you did. The shifter was getting hard to shift and that was probably the reason it sheared off.

Debated replacing cables myself, but after a very experienced and usually happy mechanic took 3-4 hours to do it along with many choice four letter words, I was happy I didn't attempt it.

Really made all the difference and the shift is very smooth now. Mechanic said previous installation had some too sharp bends in it and it was the original (20yrs old).

Wingman
2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471