Trojan Vs US Battery

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

Replacing batteries on Pau Hana.  Has anyone used the US Battery 2200 XC   6V  232AH @ C20?  How do they compare to the Trojan T105 which I have onboard now.   It seems that Trojan has a production shortage at the moment.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Noah

i Have NOT compared the two brands. I have T105s. But have you tried company named "Deep Cycle Battery" in El Cajon, CA (local for us) Jeff is a good, knowledgeable Trojan dealer.
https://www.deepcyclebatterysandiegoca.com/
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Kevin Henderson

Thanks Noah!!  Yep.  Jeff at Deep Cycle is who I'm working with.  Scheduled to have the batteries delivered later this week.  Just got a bit scared since the T105's have been pretty good.  Jeff assured me that the US battery is comparable at least.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Dave Spencer

Kevin,
I replaced my 4 Trojan T105s with US Battery 2200XC2s in January 2017. We're on our 4th summer of extended cruising and I'm very happy with them. I have nothing scientific to offer to support my opinion, my observations are purely anecdotal.  I water them when required and monitor the SG, equalizing when necessary but no more. I have my solar and 120v charger set to optimize charging voltage for the 2200s. They don't get a heavy workout as our electrical loads are modest with the fridge being the biggest draw. We charge phones and iPads and run a normal slate of instruments when sailing but these are small loads. Our solar system usually has the batteries up as close to full charge as can be expected by mid-day most days when we're at anchor. It would be very rare that I would use 20% of the capacity before recharging either by solar or the alternator. (We might plug in once in an 8 -10 week journey).
I bought the US2200s primarily based on price. I think Trojans are the gold standard that most are compared against and I think they are pricing themselves accordingly. No complaints about my old Trojans though. I saw the date code when I pulled them out and I think they had been in the boat for either 12 or 14 years... I don't recall which but it was an impressive lifespan for them.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

KWKloeber

Rod Collins really likes the US Batts -- called 'em Trojan Killers.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Colonel Butler

I have two days experience with the 2200 XC@'s so can't comment. Just replaced the two 4D's and combined into one bank and added a starting battery. I picked the 2200's based on my friend's recommendation on the quality of US Battery products. He works for a company that maintains all of the tow motors and electrically powered equipment at the local GM engine plant and those are the batteries they use. I figured they must be OK and I got the trade price on them so they were much cheaper than Trojan T105's. Will report back in several years.
2006 Catalina 34MkII "Calypso"
Hull #1746
Niagara-on-the-Lake Sailing Club
Niagara-on-the-Lake ON Canada

britinusa

I installed 4 x 6v Trojan 105's just a few months ago, they were price beaters, from Batteries and Bulbs +

I check the fluid levels at least every two weeks, barely have to add much, maybe less than 1/2cup of DW perhaps once a month.

I ignored our previous batteries for a few months, dumb, they evaporated too much water and only lasted 3.5 years.

This is the device I use to top up the batteries now, it's brilliant!

:claphttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EHIFE4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_y0VgFb8Z84XVT

That item is actually better than the one I have, mine does not have the separate filler cap, the linked one does.

here's my battery install https://www.sailingeximius.com/2020/03/time-for-new-batteries-again.html

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Roc

Hi Paul
How does that battery filler work?  Do you press the nozzle onto the battery filler hole and squeeze the bottle?
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Jon W

The Amazon link doesn't work when I click on it.

I read your write up from the second link. It says you have covers for your solar panels to shut them off. Do you also have a switch(s) to shut off the panel(s)?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Paul- remove all characters before the "www" and the link will work. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EHIFE4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_y0VgFb8Z84XVT
It's an "old-style" plastic automotive battery filler/water storage jug. Commonly used before sealed flooded batteries became popular.  Push the spout into the battery cell hole and it fills up then shuts off flow of water when the cell is topped-off. I have a similar one. Works well. A bit fussy to maneuver into cells next to terminals/connections/cables.   
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

Thanks for fixing the link. I have one too. Bought it at the local NAPA. No guessing just listen for the water noise to stop and it's filled the right amount, simple, can do it in the dark, works great.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ted Pounds

For my electric golf cart I use filling system similar to this:  https://evacuumstore.com/p-33127-ipc-eagle-cr-bws-l-4-battery-watering-system.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx-3a1aLu6gIVh4zICh0IwQCxEAQYCiABEgJcKvD_BwE
Very easy and simple to use.  Just hook up the squeeze bulb and stick the other end into a jug of distilled water.  Pump the bulb until the floats in the battery caps won't let you pump any more.  Disconnect squeeze bulb hose and all your batteries are full. 👍👍
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

britinusa

Here's the cleaned up link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EHIFE4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_8dejFbRJRXW45

Method: Fill with Distilled Water and replace the cap
Push nozel into open battery port and press down using the handle
Filler will dispense water until it reaches the tip of the nozel - for my batteries, that's full up to the lower edge of the battery filler port barrier.
Lift dispense, water is shut off, no drips.

Repeat for the other cells.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP