instruments no power

Previous topic - Next topic

dw

88 C34 we have no power at the the instituters.  These are the original which worked fine last season. The VHF and instruments are on the Nav/Com switch on the panel.  The radio works no power at the instruments.  Everything looks good.  Spent a few hours today working on this, not resolved.  Tips appreciated.

Has anyone ever seen a autohelm self destruct?  Ours did yesterday we were out just started sailing could not turn the wheel, looked down there was thin wire wrapped around the spindles of the wheel. The wire was coming out of the autohelm wheel.  After droping sails we used a pair of scissors to cut the wire away.  We decided to continue with a few hours of sailing after cutting the wire away.  The wheel lock does not work now.  Seems pointless to test the autohelm at this time.

Breakin Away

Quote from: dw on June 27, 2020, 07:01:31 PM
88 C34 we have no power at the the instituters.  These are the original which worked fine last season. The VHF and instruments are on the Nav/Com switch on the panel.  The radio works no power at the instruments.  Everything looks good.  Spent a few hours today working on this, not resolved.  Tips appreciated.

Has anyone ever seen a autohelm self destruct?  Ours did yesterday we were out just started sailing could not turn the wheel, looked down there was thin wire wrapped around the spindles of the wheel. The wire was coming out of the autohelm wheel.  After droping sails we used a pair of scissors to cut the wire away.  We decided to continue with a few hours of sailing after cutting the wire away.  The wheel lock does not work now.  Seems pointless to test the autohelm at this time.
Hard to answer without more detail. The autohelm issue might be a shredded belt, since on mine the belt consists of small wires (for strength) molded inside a plastic timing belt. If those things shredded and pulled through the gaps in the casing, it would jam up the wheel. But without more detail (brand/model, pictures) you're not going to get much help.

If it's ST4000 Mk1 (no plus), Raymarine no longer makes the belts, but there are many cost effective 3rd party options. I bought two so I'd have a spare:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Replacement+BELT+Raymarine+D169&_sacat=0

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Ron Hill

dw : You are going to have to pull the panel and start checking with your multi meter and find the break!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

Sounds like a shredded belt. Mine did the same thing.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

dw

Thanks for the replies!  Yes we were we were able to trace the wire all the way back to the on and off switch on the Data Marine thing in the Nav. Table.  I was not aware it did anything the switched must have gotten flipped off. Was a good learning experience.  Glad to get off off with a few hours of sweat equity.
Have not dug into the autohelm hope it is just a belt is a nice thing to have.  The AC picked up a prime right off and started working all in all not a bad day.  Now to get away from the dock.
Happy 4th, be safe

Stu Jackson

Great news, glad you played detective!  :clap

Enjoy and thx for telling us how it all turned out.

I just hate to miss the last act of the serial stories... :cry4`
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

I am amazed that 1988 vintage instruments are still working at all.  :shock: :clap
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Noah : All of my 1988 Data Marine instruments have always worked!!  No failures.  I did have to have the wind at the top of the mast rebuilt because the damping oil had leaked out over the years!! 
Wish they would have installed a "break" so it wouldn't be turning during winter layup!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788