Shaefer 3100 headsail furler

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Hutteball

For several years the furler has been getting more difficult to turn.  I thought I have been diligent about hosing it down after a sailing trip, but evidently not.  I remove my headsail for the winter every year and at the end of last season I had to almost turn it by hand to unfurl the sail. Now it feels like the bearings are square when I turn it by hand. (I have not installed the headsail this season) There is no way I can see to flush the bearings.  Any simple way to clean things up or is it simply time to have the bearing assembly replaced.  I have watched the Shaefer video on changing the bearings, not sure if I am up to that.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Jeff Kaplan

Jack,

I had the same problem a few years ago. Had to call the rigger who came to boat, knew the problem, ordered new rebuild kit. Once installed, furler was like new. Better to have professional do the job.

Jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

oldcatsailor

1990 sail 1064 same problem ordered bearing assembly from Schaffer about 250$ the original was too tight bearings . New assembly works great. A couple of hours of slow work problem solved.they send easy to follow instructions with the bearing assembly .
Sail 1064 Tr wing keel 1990/