Delaminated Seahood / companionway cover

Previous topic - Next topic

pbyrne

On my 2001 34 MKII, the U shaped coachroof piece that wraps around the companionway hatch has split underneath on the port side 'U' that covers the rail. 

The gelcoat has delaminated and split with moisture in it.  I'm assuming one of the screws has leaked over time.

Is there a fix or a way to replace the coachroof piece? 

I don't know where to find a parts catalog...
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

mdidomenico

A picture would help, i'm not able to readily determine which piece you're describing or how bad the damage actually is
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Jim Hardesty

QuoteIs there a fix or a way to replace the coachroof piece? 
I don't know where to find a parts catalog...

Don't know how bad or where it's damage.  So maybe there is a simpler quicker solution.  The U-shaped piece is removable, remove the screws then cut, pry, peel the sealer.  Removed, repairing it should be straight forward.  Also calling the Catalina factory they may be able to supply a new one.  That's Catalina Yachts not Catalina Direct, some confuse the two.   I've had mine off and replaced the sliding tape.  Was easy but time consuming due to the sealer.
Hope that helps,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jim Hardesty

Was at Shamrock and it jogged my memory, that's really the sea hood and is a sizeable part.  I did remove it and remember that it was easy except for the sealer both holding the sea hood in place and cleaning and removing, even though it was leaking.  If you do remove it, it's a good time to replace the sliding tape or put the strips in to have the hatch sliding smooth and quiet.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

pbyrne

Yes, that seems to be the part.  I've attached some photos.  I have a few questions.

1) what's the best way to remove it and release the sealer
2) How do I repair it?
3) What's the sealer to use when putting it back
4) where do I get the slider tape or a better replacement.  The hatch sticks and requires quite a bit of force to move.

Jim Hardesty

If that's the only area of concern, it's not structural.  Just fill with thickened epoxy and clamp.  Careful not to epoxy the clamp in place.    For the hatch try.

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9563.0.htm

Suggest you check that the hatch can raise the small distance and not catch on the seahood.  If it does, plan on sanding some.

Hope this helps.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Geoffreykwright

Pbyrne - you can get the slider tape here: 

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/capri-25/hull-deck/midship/sliding-hatch-teflon-tape/

I put new tape on a couple of years ago and makes a HUGE difference.  Make sure you get all of the old adhesive off before putting the new tape on.  I used a heat gun (on VERY low setting) and a plastic scraper.

Hope this helps.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

pbyrne

Great! Is there a supplier or substitute in Canada?  It's normally quicker to get it here if it's in Canada.

Quote from: Geoffreykwright on June 16, 2020, 06:46:16 AM
Pbyrne - you can get the slider tape here: 

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/capri-25/hull-deck/midship/sliding-hatch-teflon-tape/

I put new tape on a couple of years ago and makes a HUGE difference.  Make sure you get all of the old adhesive off before putting the new tape on.  I used a heat gun (on VERY low setting) and a plastic scraper.

Hope this helps.

Geoffreykwright

I've not found one - I just order from Catalina Direct in the USA.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Jim Hardesty

QuoteGreat! Is there a supplier or substitute in Canada?

google or amazon  UHMW tape.  Canadian Tire?

Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA