V-berth storage drawers

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

As a Corona Virus isolation project, I just spiffed-up my accessible storage On my MK I, adding three drawers to my V-berth. I used one 18 in. SeaTeak brand drawer face for the lower drawer and two 15 in. ones for the port and starboard ones. Unfortunately, there is some variation in the styles, (didn't find out until delivered), with one handle routed-out pull centered and the other two routed 1/3 distance up. Oh well, looks OK for my criteria. The support structure/rail/guides I made out of birch (epoxy coated) and the drawer boxes are birch plywood (from Drawer Depot online). Even with some pre-made parts it was a challenge for my Jr. High School level woodworking skills. But all looks like it belongs, works well and is rock solid. BTW- to match the finish of my 30-year-old teak I used Minwax "Gunstock" color stain and Watco teak oil.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Noah!!

Wow. Beautiful (HS Shop notwithstanding). 
The frames look great and I'm impressed with making your own drawers (I bought the whole units). I bet that saved a ton of cash?

I'm interested how you secured the frames - I did mine like the other door/drawer frames were attached on the 30. See
https://groups.io/g/Catalina30/album?id=63663

The clean look with no screw heads is really nice.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Ken- I cut holes in fiberglass liner/bulkhead (quite thick and varied in thickness too) with an oscillating tool/saw. Used thickened epoxy to attach the 1/2 in. Teak inset drawer frames to bulkheads. Then I attached my back glide rail structures (three-sided boxes) to teak insert/frame using thickened epoxy—clamped and screwed through front. Then I used teak plugs over screws. All very stiff and solid. In a perfect world, I would have preferred "proper" stainless steel drawer glides, but too hard to construct into the existing furniture and close quarters—with my skills. The existing Catalina drawers on my boat use wooden rails so I did too. I could not find your project on the C30 site. Is there a direct link?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Ahhhhh the teak plugs don't show!  Nice job.

Ahhhh2 that link is to the photo album w/ the Vee upgrade (and other stuff) but maybe one needs to be logged into the C30 forum to see it.

I att'd representative pix of various stages

-k

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

more

ewengstrom

Inspired yet again!!! Thanks for sharing the upgrade to the storage. I'm just finishing up the extensive refit of our boat but this project is way up on my list of fall 2020 projects.
Several months ago I sourced a bunch of old Catalina interior teak from Bacons in Annapolis and have enough for drawers like this and two access ports on either side of the main salon just forward of the mast, an access door behind the head and one below the berth in the aft cabin. I LOVE access and added storage...and cutting holes in boats is so easy to do too!!!!!
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Phil Spicer

Noah: That's a fantastic job. You can be proud of your work. This project has been on my to do list for many years. This may be the push I needed to get it done, thanks.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Jim Hardesty

Nice and useful what could be better.  That started me thinking, smells like smoke, has anyone designed a step so it's not such a long jump off the bed?  Rather than hijack this thread I'll start another.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : I did like Noah, but used doors instead of drawers.  Ken, I secured the door frames with screws from the inside.

There is a Mainsheet tech note article with pictures. Did that task back around 1990.  :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

jmcdonald

I also went the door route. It's big enough I can crawl into the area under the V berth.
Great storage for "big" stuff like vacuum and things that size that I don't use every day.
Drawers or doors the important thing is not to waste that important space.
Very nice job making & installing those drawers!