Galley Counter Top

Previous topic - Next topic

GYPSEA

Neighbors have recently been playing with epoxy counter tops. We did a trial canvas pc this weekend. This led to preping GYPSEA's galley top for an update. The real reason was that the Formica had worn through one corner before we purchased.

GYPSEA

Prep

KWKloeber

The sample try looks great. It will sure change and brighten up the look.

I've looked at 3 or 4 purveyors if the process (YouTubes, their websites, emailed) but haven't tried a sample kit yet. Which one did you choose?  Only one would send samples, even offered to pay for one in the finish we're looking for.   The one that did have samples were all solid colors or slight specs, etc. I suppose they all would rather sell the trial kits.
After getting your sea legs on the sample how would you rate it for a kitchen countertop?  1 to 10?

Thx
Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mregan

I like it.  Send pics when its finished.

GYPSEA

The neighbors bought the www.stonecoatcountertops.com kit. Then bought additional epoxy at the local epoxy shop for a little cheaper.

Base primer after sanding formica down last night.  Next Bher artic white paint/primer after a light sanding on the base primer.....

Hopefully this weekend we'll get the epoxy down. Will send pics when done. Thanks

GYPSEA

Now the re-assembly begins

GYPSEA

That was the initial coat - then a top coat of epoxy smoothed out any depressions.
Polished the sink, and bought a new faucet.... Nothing like taking a $100 project and turning it into a $250 project (ha!).
So GYPSEA has sat at the dock for 2 weekends - that's too much time between sailing! Even if it's just for an hour sailing.
I'll send a finishing pic when the install is complete.

GYPSEA

Finished Product.

glennd3

Very nice, wish I had the nerve!
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

frogdoc58

Hi, Paul here, my wife and I have a '89 C 34.  We'd like to replace our sink.  If you have the time, can you tell us how you got your sink out.  Was it glued down?

Thank in advance,  P&J
Frogdoc

mdidomenico

I can't speak for others, but on my '89 Mk1, the sink was glued down with a ton of silicon.  it took some effort, but it did seem to release from the formica counter top without much trouble
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Ron Hill

Guys : Use a heat gun to soften the silicone!!  Wear leather gloves with your putty knife to pry up the sink. 

That stainless sink gets HOT!!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788