Mysterious marks on hull

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoffreykwright

So if it IS a slight cracking in the barrier coat due to overloading the one pad (which seems plausible), is she sea-worthy?  Is this something that I can fix at next haul out?  As I said, never seen this marks before - they are almost imperceptible - did not notice until applying this year's VC-17.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

ewengstrom

I downloaded the picture(s) and zoomed in and honestly it looks like the new paint (last year) was painted over flaking paint underneath. It's just a picture and I could be wrong....but from here that's what it looks like. Easy to determine though, sand it off and see what's going on under there. It can't hurt and it'll answer your questions.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Kyle Ewing

Several years ago I had similar marks in my VC-17 after the yard didn't set the boat in the cradle properly.  I sent pictures to Catalina and, Frank Butler himself I believe, replied saying there should be no long term problems from improper blocking.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Geoffreykwright

All - thanks again for all of the advice....well - the results are in!  I used some acetone and a scotch brite pad to clean off all of the paint in a small area.  there lines are indeed hairline cracks in the barrier coat most likely caused by improper blocking of the boat in the fall (too much weight on the aft port-side pad).  An acquaintance of mine who specializes in gelcoat and hull repair (as his day job) took a dremel to one of the cracks.  its only the barrier coat and does not extend to the underlying fiberglass.  He's going to lightly dremel the cracks and refill with epoxy.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA