engine hoses, nylon/wire silicon/epdm

Previous topic - Next topic

mdidomenico

i'm changing out all the hoses on my engine since they were all original and crackly.  I'll admit i'm a little dense when it comes to which hose to buy.  i know i need >=200f temp range, i'm not sure how much the pressure rating matters, i believe these are all pretty low pressure connections (i could be wrong though). 

is nylon reinforced the same/more/less desirable then wire reinforced?  should i be looking at silicon vs epdm?

i'd like to pick up the same hose for all my connections.  so far it looks like i need 5/8" 7/8" and some 3/8".  defender doesn't seem to carry 3/8" in the trident 250 line.  i'm still looking around though, not even sure if 250 is minimum or overkill.

1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Roland Gendreau

I obtained my replacement engine cooling hoses from Jamestown Distributors/
I used Shieldflex II hose which is wire reinforced hose.  I ended up with some left over as they sell it in 6 foot lengths.

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

KWKloeber

I'm wondering your thinking why you want to go with silicone or otherwise, over say Shieldsflex? 
Are you replacing exhaust hose, or just water hose?
I always lean toward Shieldflex 250 series.
You want wire where there's a chance of hot hose kinking at a bend or on suction a suction line (like on the inlet hose to the coolant pump.)

If you need to make a short bend it's good to use corrugated hose instead of non-wire but that pertains mostly to large diameter applications like exhausts.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mdidomenico

Quote from: KWKloeber on May 25, 2020, 10:06:28 AM
I'm wondering your thinking why you want to go with silicone or otherwise, over say Shieldsflex? 
Are you replacing exhaust hose, or just water hose?

i have no preference for silicon vs epdm.  i also have no point of reference either (newbie).  it's like choosing to go with bronze vs marelon seacocks.  same kind of thing.

i do have to replace my exhaust hose too.  pretty much all hoses everywhere.

i use trident #144 for my bilge lines.  right now i'm leaning towards trident #134 for all the engine hoses.  nothing mandates trident, but hey why not

i am trying to stay away from wire wound wherever i can, if possible.  i've never been able to get it to cut cleanly and it always seems to rust and breakdown.  (or at least every wire wound hose i pulled out of the boat was a rusted mess).

1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Stu Jackson

Quote from: mdidomenico on May 25, 2020, 11:52:07 AM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i am trying to stay away from wire wound wherever i can, if possible.  i've never been able to get it to cut cleanly and it always seems to rust and breakdown.  (or at least every wire wound hose i pulled out of the boat was a rusted mess).

The trick is cutting the wire cleanly when you cut the hose.

Have you considered that the "rusted mess" you saw was actually good news?  It was a "telltale" telling you to replace the hoses.

I've used wire reinforced hose on my two hose replacements over the years.  Never had difficulty with the 7/8" hose, and there's not much of it.  Order some online if you can't find it locally.

There's a link in the 101 Topics on exhaust hose replacement.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

mdid : See my answer to your 7/8" to 1" hose post.    because All applications do NOT need a wire reinforced hose!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788