Smile repair

Previous topic - Next topic

jamie mccormick

Thanks for those tips guys, Ken what do you recommend for and procedure to wrapping the joint.

derekb

If you're planning to use carbon fibre make sure you isolate it from contact with any metal by a layer of glass cloth first... it's conductive and will cause corrosion.

Cheers,
Derek
Derek Buckmaster
Esprit, 1986 C34 Mark I #29. Fin keel, Universal M25.
Geelong, Victoria, Australia

KWKloeber

Jamie

I used a roll of 4" or 6" wide fiberglass mat that I had from west marine -- the guys at west systems suggested bi-axial cloth.  1 or 2 layers, can't recall - I'd probably use carbon if I did it again (I will not.) 

I laid it in using colloidal silica thickener (would not again -- now I use and always recommend microfibers thickener, much better/easier.)

Then faired on top of that using medium-density filler.

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Quote from: derekb on May 27, 2020, 01:43:07 AM
If you're planning to use carbon fibre make sure you isolate it from contact with any metal by a layer of glass cloth first... it's conductive and will cause corrosion.

Cheers,
Derek

I'm not certain I understand that concern -  conduct, say, lead to what?  To non-conductive fiberglass?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain