U stack installed

Previous topic - Next topic

glennd3

Just posting a picture of the U stack from Ullman sails.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

Looks nice Glenn. BTW- what is that big silver thing on your foredeck? It it a deck mounted windlass?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Patches

+1

Like Noah, also interested in your windlass mount.  I just got a sweet deal on a Lofrans Royal clone, also made in Italy and looks identical.  Interested in seeing how you handled the chain fall.

glennd3

It is a manual windlass that came with the boat. I have played with it but I just pull my rode by hand because when I anchor I am usually in shallow water. It will catch my jib sheets if I am lazy handling them. I thought about removing it but I am getting older and one day I may need it.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

Just curious. Not intended to hijack the thread. I do have a locker mounted Maxwell 300-400 model factory installed. It is basic; rope only, up only. I do wrap some chain round it but... I would like to "eventually" replace it (in the locker) with a Maxwell VW 10 with chain and rope gypsy and forward/reverse.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

glennd3

I will have to check on model #. This one takes chain or rode. I will get some pictures next time I am at the boat.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

mregan

Like the U stack.  Had a Doyle Stack Pack (same thing) made last year.  So much easier dropping the sail since I'm usually doing everything myself why my wife and teenager daughters watch in amusement.

Patches

Glenn:

Also not trying to hijack your thread, but would appreciate a photo or two of your manual windlass installation when you're able.  I also have a manual (horizontal) windlass which I have been thinking about installing and, as a 1990 Mark 1.25, have the same anchor locker lid and layout as you.

I sail and cruise in the Pacific Northwest and would like to go all chain because of the reduced scope required in many of our tighter anchorages.  7:1, or even 5:1, isn't realistic around here most of the time.

Thanks in advance,

Patches

glennd3

Will do, give me a couple of days.

Quote from: Patches on May 21, 2020, 09:16:36 AM
Glenn:

Also not trying to hijack your thread, but would appreciate a photo or two of your manual windlass installation when you're able.  I also have a manual (horizontal) windlass which I have been thinking about installing and, as a 1990 Mark 1.25, have the same anchor locker lid and layout as you.

I sail and cruise in the Pacific Northwest and would like to go all chain because of the reduced scope required in many of our tighter anchorages.  7:1, or even 5:1, isn't realistic around here most of the time.

Thanks in advance,

Patches
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

glennd3

Here are some photos of the windlass.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

glennd3

Quote from: glennd3 on May 23, 2020, 07:49:08 PM
Here are some photos of the windlass.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Patches

Thanks for the photos Glenn.  Interesting installation.  Same windlass design as mine (although mine is an "Italwinch"--likely either a predecessor to the Lofrans or a clone).

I expected to see either a hause pipe in the deck to route the chain below, or the winch positioned more forward  (with some protective ss plating/strips to route the chain over the edge of the anchor locker and into the anchor locker).  By the looks of it, the prior owner likely used it mostly for line rode.  He also mounted directly to the deck instead of on a piece of epoxied wood or Starboard to spread the load.

Thanks again for the photos.

Patches