hx 7/8" to 1" mod

Previous topic - Next topic

mdidomenico

i'm working on the hoses for my engine.  it seems 7/8" hose is an uncommon size.  not that it doesn't exist, but the only mfg that seems to make it is shields.  i'm curious if anyone has ever thought or tried to sleeve the hx from 7/8" to 1" outlets.  i'm not sure i'm enough of a trailblazer to attempt something like that, but it would seem since the whole thing is copper/bronze it would be possible to braze on a new fitting.  it would certainly make the connection from the water pump easier.

oddly enough the mfg ones from catalina direct are 7/8" as well.  seems like it would have made sense to bump the ports up a size
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

KWKloeber

Shields is far from the only mfgr/supplier of 7/8 hose - it is not uncommon. 
EPDM, silicone, etc -- it's all out there just Google it.

How is it 'easier' to rework a Hx than simply buy a hunk of the correct (OEM size) hose once every 20 years? 
EVEN IF it was available (readily available, I might add) from only one source?  The logic escapes me.  :? :shock:

The "annually replaced" seawater pump impeller is available only from Oberdorfer (or Sherwood for the inferior pumps.)  Why not change to a belt-driven one that has a "more-common" impeller? 
That makes more sense than for a hose that's replaced once in 20 years.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Dave Spencer

mdid
I respectfully disagree with Ken that 7/8" coolant hose is common.  It's available but when I changed my hoses, I found 7/8" was not usually stocked as commonly as 3/4" or other hose sizes.  You likely won't find it in stock at your local auto parts store nor in all chandleries.  However, Mr Google or Mr Amazon will certainly provide you with sources for your 7/8" hose.  After briefly looking around my city, I ordered mine from a marine store 350 km away.  I wouldn't recommend "sleeving" to make a 1" hose fit.  it sounds like trouble waiting to happen. 
Make sure you source the molded 90 degree elbow that goes from 7/8" to 1" at the water pump.  It too is "uncommon" but people have found it matches a Toyota part.  I bought mine at Napa Automotive.  Info here.  Save the copper (or looks like copper) elbow.  https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,10238.msg78868.html#msg78868

Good luck with your project and keep asking questions. 
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

mdidomenico

i guess i phrased my 'uncommon' statement incorrectly.  i know google/amazon show 7/8" hose all over the place.  i didn't mean it's an uncommon product.  just that's it's uncommonly stocked at marine chandler's.  i've searched pretty much all of the most common ones online, 7/8" isn't a commonly stocked hose.  pretty much all of them stock shields or trident.  only shields seems to have a 7/8" hose.  i reached out to trident to see if they had a product i couldn't readily see online.  3/8" is the same way.

that's all i meant.  and given that, i thought it odd that the hose connections for the hx would be 7/8" over 3/4" or 1".  and you're both right sleeving the hx doesn't seem worthwhile and fairly risky for a $500 part.  i couldn't find any references in the wiki or the forum that said one way or the other, figured i'd ask.
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Ron Hill

mdid : When you are looking for replacement hoses, look in an auto parts store.  Their nylon reinforced hose does the job.   :thumb:

As a reminder you only need wire reinforced hose on the suction side of a pump or when the hose makes an acute bend!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Roland Gendreau

As I mentioned in your other thread, I have 4 ft of 1 inch and 4 feet of 7/8 shieldflex hose left over and would be willing to sell it to you if you want to go that way.   You can email me at ferllyr@gmail.com

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

KWKloeber

Quote from: Dave Spencer on May 26, 2020, 04:11:41 AM

I respectfully disagree with Ken that 7/8" coolant hose is common. 

Dave

[edited] 

My mention to google it was that it shows there are many who manufacture 7/8 hose.  That says to me that it isn't that unusual -- I didn't mean that everyone should buy it from Scamazon.   

That said, when I re-hosed (granted it was 10+ yrs ago and things may have changed) West Marine carried 7/8" in the store -- when out of any size it magically showed up a couple days after being ordered.   NAPA also carries 7/8" and I can get it the next day if my store is out of it.  Defender carries 7/8" hose (Trident 250 series wire-wound, which is what you want for the Hx to pump inlet -- remember the coolant pump sucks, not pumps.)  WM also carries 3/8" Shields and NAPA carries 3/8" heater hose - again if it isn't in stock, my store will have it in the next morning or day after.  I've supplied customers with 3/8" and 5/8" and 7/8" silicone hose as well as silicone exhaust hose and fittings for our engines.  It's all available.

I agree that one cannot always walk in and expect to see 7/8" hose in stock.  But how many other things do we need for boats that are not "in stock" (and so need to be ordered in)?  Lots. 

Changing heater hoses isn't an impulse or emergency purchase -- I personally wouldn't think it a big deal to gather up my materials ahead of time when anticipating the project (even if WM or NAPA took a couple days to get it in.)  I just by nature plan ahead -- but recognize that not everyone does.

[edit] - Remember, one can ALWAYS get the OEM Universal part (and pay thru the nose instead of taking the effort to locate hose at discount.)
https://shop.toadmarinesupply.com/ships_store/index.php?p=details&mfc=Universal&sku=300102

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

Quote from: mdidomenico on May 26, 2020, 05:01:37 AM

sleeving the hx doesn't seem worthwhile

If the 7/8" & 3/8" sources (see reply to Dave) don't meet your fancy, I'd wrap 1/8" of self-vulcanizing silicone tape on the 7/8" port and have at it with 1" hose.  But then you'll need a different elbow at the other end.   If you want silicone drop me a PM.

-k

Ron Hill

Guys : You can spend your money$$ where you want at an inflated "Marine" store, but I'll always go to an Auto Parts store and purchase "GATES" brand hoses for my engine!!   :appl

A thought   :thumb:

Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Guys : I just remembered that I wrote a Mainsheet tech note article - where I change out the hoses to the head sink!!

I got tired of the foul smell of the water especially the hot, so I rerouted them under the flooring direct to the head sink.  They originally came up in the engine compartment and went around the corner to the head sink.

I also changed out the type hose to automobile heater hose.  NO more smell!!!

A few thoughts   :clap
Ron, Apache #788