Companionway hatch water

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisOB

When it is raining, my dodger is ok to keep the rain out with the hatch still open.  If I close the hatch quickly I get about a quart of water dumped on me and the galley floor.  Anyone else have this issue?
1986 MK1 Tall rig/Fin Keel #247

scgunner

Chris,

Well first I'd say don't close your hatch quickly(I know, I'm being a smartass, sorry), next I'd check your forward slide drains, they might be clogged.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Chris : Look at the 2 references that Stu posted. 
There is a rectangular drain slot in each of the two side teak boards.  The slot is where the teak meets the deck on the outboard side near the bow end of the board. 

I'm sure that that slot is all gooped up with years of dirt!!  I usually run water (while washing the boat) in the hatch slots until I see water (and junk) coming out of those drain slots - just to keep them clean and clear.   :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

ChrisOB

Wow, thank you, That makes a lot of sense.  Will check tomorrow at the boat.  Thanks again.
1986 MK1 Tall rig/Fin Keel #247