Hood Seafurl Guard

Previous topic - Next topic

awesome34

Hello Sailors,

The guard arm on my Hood Seafurl broke off on my 1988 and I lost my furling line guard. It still furls and unfurls fine, but some of the furling line will always escape from the drum during a sail and so someone needs to go up to the bow and make sure the line is in the furler drum before furling the genoa. I would like to try to fix it since the basic furling mechanism still works. I emailed Hood to see if they had any replacement parts and they said no and that the company that did the tooling for those parts went bankrupt in 1994. So, any advice or creative ideas from the wise sailors on here? Or any old Hood Seafurls lying around that were replaced?

Thanks,
Eric

KWKloeber

How the arm friction-mounts below the drum, I know a stainless fabricator who could easily design and weld up a replacement.  It would look different (round rod w/ an eye that is welded to a new friction mount, but it would work identically.  Unfortunately, he's way too busy and not taking on "small" jobs.   But, I would seek out a stainless fabricator in your area. 

Would a vertical rod (or bar) w/ an eye on the end, welded to the outside face of the anchor roller, line up close to the drum?
The line would exit at a different angle and would probably need some addition/realigning of furling line blocks.

Could a short arm and eye (or block) be U-bolted to the vertical pulpit rail on that side?

If any of those would work a good stainless fabricator could make short work of it.

Call RigRite and Minneys surplus - a very LONG shot but yah nevah know.
http://boatersresaleshopoftexas.com/boaters-resale-shop-of-tx-1907-115402-hood-seafurl-42ft-4-furling-system

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

dunno know if this arm would fit -- or why they won't ship to US.
Well can think of only one reason, but might be worth an email and if it fits a bribe to send it across the pond.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hood-Yacht-Systems-Seafurl-3250-Yacht-Boat-Furler/402258723930
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain