Documentation Reminder

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Mann

Just a heads up.  As every year, I almost fell for the letter from the Vessel Documentation Portal offering to renew my documentation for the princely sum of $75.  The last fee I paid directly to USCG was $26, if I remember correctly.  Remember these guys are private company offering to renew your documentation for a healthy fee.
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC

Jon W

Good reminder, thanks. I don't use their service, but get the letter every year. They're certainly persistent.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

mregan

Good timing.  I just received my annual letter from them last month.  About 2 weeks later I received my renewal from the Coast Guard.  You are correct $26 vs $75

chuck53

If I'm not mistaken, there are a couple of companies doing the same thing...or one company that keeps changing their name.
So....everyone be careful.  I fell for it about 3-4 years ago.  Never again.

chuck53

Just bringing this topic back to the top of the page as a reminder....
The REAL Coast Guard documentation office only charges $26 to renew.  Don't fall for CG look-a-likes that charge $75.

Also, I recently saw that starting in 2022, the CG office will only renew for a full 5 years, $130.  No more year to year renewals.

chuck53

Quote from: chuck53 on April 27, 2021, 07:15:30 AM
Just bringing this topic back to the top of the page as a reminder....
The REAL Coast Guard documentation office only charges $26 to renew.  Don't fall for CG look-a-likes that charge $75.

Also, I recently saw that starting in 2022, the CG office will only renew for a full 5 years, $130.  No more year to year renewals.

Regarding the 5 year only renewal plan,  this was changed 12/27/2021....you can still continue to renew for 1-5 years.  The fee schedule on the NVDC website says 5 year renewal only.  It is a mistake and will be corrected soon per an email I got from the doc office.
This of course is for recreational boats only.  Commercial boats can only renew for 1 year.

chuck53

The fee schedule on the NVDC website has been corrected.  1-5 year renewals are available for recreational boats.  Still 1 year only for commercial boats.
Just a reminder, only renew with the real CG Doc office...$26/year fee.

chuck53

Just a head's up....
I got a renewal reminder letter from one of the scammers last week.  They clearly stated that renewals are mandatory 5 years only.  False.  CG Doc office offers 1-5 year renewal, at $26/year.
I guess the scammers, knowing their databases are starting to dry up, are trying to get as much money as possible as quickly as possible....5 years at $75/year.