Chainplate Tie-rod Torque

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Price

I am in process if re-bedding the shroud chainplates.  I don't have any problems but do have aquestion on how tight should the rod bolts (the one on the end of rod inside the hull)be torqued.  This is the final step after the T-Plate and thru bolts seal has cured before I tension the shrouds.  Any ideas as to how tight for the rod bolt?? :confused:
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Stu Jackson

Tie Rod Torque

Jim

As I recollect, there are two nuts on each bolt.  I had to get a new short handled adjustable open wrench to be able to get into the openings for the forward lowers.

I just snugged the top nut as tight as it would go against the fender washer under the shelf behind the settees, and used the second nut as a lock nut.

Don't know how'd you go about measuring the tension anyway, with the ashroud to that chainplate "disconnected."

I also remember that I snugged that one up before I siliconed the topsides, so that the only final tightening was when I tightened up the turnbuckles, except for the port forward lower.  They've been dry ever since, two years.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Price

Thanks, I thought that may the case but wanted to make sure.  Seems each of my rods have a differenct number of lock washers, spacers, etc to create the proper tension /length.  Tells me that the boat ain't the same on all points and the differnect is made up with spacers, but that is OK, she is still a great solid boat.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

JeffC

Ron

FYI

I spoke with Catalina last week and was told that David Graas no longer works there.

Jim Price

Talked to Kent at Catalina and got the answer that the bolts should be "snug" tight, i.e., collapsing the lock washers but not cranking down on the bolts.  He stated that if after completeion, I detect any deck flexing, then tighen a little more to overcome the flexing.  No specific answer for all boats.  Thanks for your input.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA