stair felt

Previous topic - Next topic

mdidomenico

i have a mk1 which has the lower and upper stair units.  i'd like to put felt around the lower units edges and under the upper units feet.  one to protect the newly varnished surfaces, but also to cut down on squeeking.  i can get felt from mcmaster, but i'm unsure of the best way to attach it.  i've been less then impressed by many of the factory "adhesive" back things (felt, insulation, etc) and removing said adhesive when the felt needs replacing is usually no easy task.

i wonder if someone has a recommendation.  i've thought about using hot glue, devils glue, stainless crown staples, or vhb tape.  slightly thicker felt and crown staples seem to be the best option to me
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Stu Jackson

23 years ago we just glued four small round pieces of felt below the top section of steps where they land on the bottom section.  Since they're in compression all the time, they ain't goin' anywhere!   :D  No idea what glue I used, but it was either the sticky back or maybe liquid nails. No need for anything special.

We never had any noise issues with the bottom section, it's so danged heavy.  I do always put a folded up piece of newspaper under the bottom section before I slide it down.  If that paper, a small edge of which we can see, ever gets wet, you betcha I'm taking a careful look.  I use it as a "telltale."  I also check the engine when we're running on a regular basis.  A standard piece of newspaper is almost a perfect fit, leaves less than a few inches at either end.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

mdid : I took and cut two pieces of rubber rug pad. Then took contact cement and glued them to the bottom (underside) of the steps that ride on the teak/holly sole.

That protected the sole and prevented any squeaks!! That thin rug pad material compressed and didn't change the geometry between the sole and the steps!   :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Krawford

I've been very happy using these on chairs.  I also was frustrated with adhesive backed ones.  They might be a little thick for your stairs but worth a look.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GNDM8YD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

Bill Shreeves

I too have a MKI with stairs that creak a little.  I mentioned to the Admiral one day a few years ago during our first season that I intended to put some felt under them to stop the creaking.  I was pleasantly surprise to hear her say she liked the character it gives the boat like all teak.  I left them be with a new appreciation of the creaking.

BTW, I like Stu's use of newspaper as a tell.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

scgunner

When you guys describe squeaking or creaking is this with the motor on or off? When my motor is on I have a vibration rattle of the upper steps.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

mdidomenico

Quote from: scgunner on May 15, 2020, 07:45:06 AM
When you guys describe squeaking or creaking is this with the motor on or off? When my motor is on I have a vibration rattle of the upper steps.

mine would squeek just stepping on them.  most of that is probably because the wear along the edges caused a loose/smooth/binding fit.  i just rebuilt the lower stair unit, it has a tight fit, but i'd like to add some felt to assist it's sliding and prevent oncoming squeeks or rattles.  the upper stair unit used to rub on the lower which drove scratches in the lower stair unit top step.  the movement was sufficient to make the scratches noticeable, so i'd like to prevent that.

i ended up picking up some firm felt from mcmaster, seems like it'll do the job well.  i'll attach pictures when i'm done, which should be soon.
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

scgunner

I added a couple of heavy rubber pads to counteract the rattling with the motor running, my steps are quiet when being used with the motor off.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Kevin : My thin (cut to fit) rubber rug pad stopped all noises from the steps - engine ON or OFF, static or being walked on!!   :clap

A thought
Ron, Apache #788