back at it, project update

Previous topic - Next topic

mdidomenico

for anyone that's interesting in my progress.  the yard finally finished cleaning my engine and reinstall along with a new shaft at dripless seal.  it was nice to be down in the yard again, very few people have been put in, but activity seems to be picking up.  i've spent the last month at home with nothing to do.  i've been sanding all the interior teak parts and repairing drawers and stuff.  just waiting for the weather to get a little warmer consistently before i varnish it all.  here's some pictures

1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

ewengstrom

And here I thought I was doing allot of interior work on our boat...you have the WALLS torn out!?!?!?!?
I am humbled.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Noah

Makes servicing the engine easier. :D
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Roc

You should put a Federal Flex coupling on that thing. 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

mdidomenico

haha, yeah i had to pull the walls around the engine down.  the bottoms were totally rotten from water penetration into the plywood.  the new panels are skirted with mahagony strips epoxied in place.  so hopefully that wont happen again.

i thought about putting a flex coupling in, but it took the yard so long to get the engine back to me i wasn't going to add more work in.  i was also concerned there wouldn't be room with the dripless, but i see that's not the case.  the only other thing i'm having them do is send the prop out for cleaning and pitching

scgunner

WOW! That's a pretty install, it seems almost a shame to cover it up.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

mdidomenico

side panels installed.  forgot a bunch of stuff on my rush down to the marina so i couldn't fit the stairs, next weekend

scgunner

The new panels look beautiful, it looks like a new build. I'm curious, wouldn't have been easier to do a complete install(plumbing, electrical, etc.)before installing the panels?
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

mdido : Next for the sound proofing and the engine inspection doors (Port & Starboard).

You know that you can (I did) reroute the water hoses (H & C) to the galley sink.  I wrote a Mainsheet tech note article on the "How To" by going direct under the flooring from the galley sink (C) and the water heater (H) to the head sink.

A few thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788

mdidomenico

scgunner: yes, one respect it would have been easier, but since i'm moving things around like the hx, cable harness, etc having the side panels installed will tell me where to put things

ron: yes, i have to order the foam panels.  i'm also not sure exactly how i plan to route the water lines.  i did see your note about it.  i'm a ways off from hot/cold water though.  my goal for this year is just to get back in the water.  engine was number one, refitting the mast is the rest of this summer.  once i'm back in i can do everything else with the boat in the water or say screw it and just go sailing :)