New head

Previous topic - Next topic

LogoFreak

Hi!

So as a new owner to a 1992 Catalina 34 that came with a head that didn't work it was obviously my first project. Decided to treat myself and get a Jabsco Deluxe flush electric head, no more explaining to non boaters how to flush lol. I will be editing a video of the whole process but I figured I'd share with the group the progress so far. I've worked with insulation foam as a plug material before and I like how easy it is to create any shape you want. The idea is to build a fiberglass insert that will accept the new head but that can be removed down the road if I change my mind or sell the boat and new owner wants to go a different route. Should look almost factory when I'm done.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Noah

Curious; is this a 17 in. or 14 in. Jabsco, and why did you select this electric head over other electrics, such as the Raritan Elegance or Dometic.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

LogoFreak

It's a 14" slant back model, no thought pattern went into why Jabsco and not a different brand. Every boat I've had has had a Jabsco head, going with what I know I suppose?
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Noah

:thumb:
Thx!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

lazybone

Thanks for sharing with us.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

LogoFreak

Finished the plug today, taking it home with me to sand it down to where I like the look of it. Then I have out fairing compound all over it and sand again till I'm happy with it, bring back to the boat to confirm nothings moved. Then back home to glass over it and repeat the process. It's gonna take me a couple more weeks as I can only work on it over the weekends.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Stu Jackson

Quote from: LogoFreak on April 25, 2020, 10:52:47 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The idea is to build a fiberglass insert that will accept the new head but that can be removed down the road if I change my mind or sell the boat and new owner wants to go a different route. Should look almost factory when I'm done.

Hi & Welcome.

I looked at your photos and went back to your OP.  The piece I'm completely missing in understanding is: Why?

Doesn't the new head simply lag bolt onto the existing platform?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

LogoFreak

Hi Stu,

Simple answer, cause otherwise it won't fit. It's deeper and has a back that's meant to go against a bulkhead that in our boats doesn't exist.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Continuing on the project from home today, getting ready to apply low density filler and then sand it down. Not sure why this platform keeps rotating my pictures?
If anyone is interested I have a YouTube channel, it pretty new and I'm very new at content creating so bear with me. Eventually when I finish the project I will be uploading a video if the whole process.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK47pXEAVBykhtJXC-K8NMw
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

mark_53

Did you see if it is operational with the new configuration?  I'm wondering about water level.

LogoFreak

Hi Mark, could you expand on your question? Not sure what you mean? Head came with a raw water pressure pump, unsure how the water level has an impact on the functionality of the head?
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

mark_53

I don't know much about how the head works but I know mine is below the waterline for some reason.  Your raw water pump may make that unnecessary. I just think it's a good idea to see if it actually functions well before doing the final fit up.

LogoFreak

There are different types of installations and in all cases a system can be arranged for it to work. If your head is below the water line then a hose routed through a vented loop above the waterline is all you need. Same with with the holding tank and it's discharge hose, if the tank is below the waterline a vented loop above the waterline is required for your discharge hose.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Here's the link to the heads manual, you can see all the options listed for the installation based on any particular case. https://www.xylem.com/siteassets/brand/jabsco/58xx0-technical-datasheet-en.pdf
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Don't think I can get a job making wedding cakes anytime soon  :D
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179