Fixed Cabin Window Cracked & Frame Split

Previous topic - Next topic

Rortega46

jmcdonald: Good idea to contain the dust and minimize clean-up.  I'd of probably just put the Drexel to work and made a bigger than necessary mess.

Jim:  I'll take another good look for movement before installing the new windows.  BTW, Shamrock looks to be a near match with Yat.
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

derekb

Hi Randy,

my 1986 C34 has similar splits in several of the windows, very much like what your photos show. The windows are also crazed and in poor shape (but no cracks in them like yours) so I'll be replacing them at some stage. One of the splits is in the top edge of the window, and drips water in very heavy rain, so I need to explore where that is coming from...

Cheers,
Derek
Derek Buckmaster
Esprit, 1986 C34 Mark I #29. Fin keel, Universal M25.
Geelong, Victoria, Australia

ChrisOB

My boat recently developed a similar frame crack in the galley, on the edge inside the plexi.  I need to replace the plexi eventually, does anyone have the best current recommendation for material to use?  I am in New Orleans.  Also, can you explain a little more about what the 'Gel' mentioned earlier in the post is for?
1986 MK1 Tall rig/Fin Keel #247

Rortega46

Chris, I've am changing fixed windows after seeking advice here, from a local marine window repair/replacement expert, and Catalina Yachts.  What I've found is.... Polycarbonate versus plexiglass is much preferred due to strength and durability.  Local glass shops and suppliers don't stock the smoke colored polycarbonate used on Catalinas, so to have windows fabricated locally you'll end up paying for a full 4x8 sheet even if you need less.  I ordered windows from Catalina Yachts paying $125 /ea, and received them in about 2 weeks.  Their price is more than reasonable. Select Plastics is another vendor you might want to check out, but I chose to stick with our original manufacturer to support them and since they have many templates on-hand.  The gel purchased from Catalina is to finish the window sill(s), is the same color and finish as the original interior, and is applied after filling gaps to restore the structural connection between the interior and exterior walls around the window frame.

I hope this helps.
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA