Prop Shaft Question

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

I have a "Federal" flex coupling.  Search this site and you should find the posts and pictures.  I installed it when I switched from the bronze to ss shaft.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

scgunner

Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

I have a Vetus Bullflex and it works well. Cost I recall was approx. $400-$500?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Roc

The Federal Flex coupling is probably one of the best improvements done.  As Ron said, you don't have to fuss about "perfect" alignment.  The drive train runs smooth.  I believe it's a great investment.  I don't know what it costs now, but the part itself was only a few hundred.  If you are already replacing the shaft, the extra labor involved is almost transparent.

Ron Hill

Kevin : Sorry, but I don't remember the cost of the Federal Flex coupling.  I installed it myself so there is NO mechanic cost.  :clap

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ed Shankle

Space to install it may be a factor to consider. If I remember correctly, Ron originally had a Vetus, but when he repowered, the longer transmission negated the use of the Bulflex, so he went with the smaller Federal. Ron, correct me if I've got that wrong.

Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Roc

I had mine installed at the yard mechanic.  The reason for the Federal was it is a coupling that will fit in the limited space. 

Noah

I have a 25XP with a standard stuffing box (not a dripless) so there was plenty of space for a Vetus Bullflex.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

lazybone

Why is it such a daunting job to align the shaft and engine and check it annually.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Roc

I have the PSS dripless seal with the Federal coupling.  It all fits.

Ron Hill

Ed : You are correct that with the M25XP & Hurth 50 the Vetus fit, but with the longer Hurth 100 on the M25XPB I had to change to a Federal!!

Good memory, Ed   

Ciao : Why ever have to screw again with alignment again??

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788