Companionway doors

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisOB

I have recently relocated the boat from NY to Louisiana and am in the process of installing reverse cycle air conditioning.  Does anyone have drawings of doors for an mki? Would like to use them while in the slip with the AC on.  I have time at the moment to build them, so I shall make that attempt instead of buying from a vendor.  Thank you.
1986 MK1 Tall rig/Fin Keel #247

Ron Hill

Chris : I believe that you are better off making you own doors from YOUR boats measurements.  It's been my experience that each C34 could be slightly different!

That way you know that they will fit for sure!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

Ron's right as usual.  Make a template from your own boat.  I tried duplicating my doors for another 34.  It was a colossal waste of time.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

ChrisOB

scgunner

Chris,

If you make your own you'll get exactly what you want. I don't know how much you enjoy refinishing teak, not a fan myself, but you might consider using Starboard instead of teak.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

glennd3

Do you need the doors for safety or just to enter quickly with ac on? I decided to have a cover made of the same canvas as the dodger. It attaches with 2 snaps on top and hangs down over the opening. It keeps the cold air in, waterproof and easy to go in and out. Just an idea.

Quote from: ChrisOB on April 13, 2020, 10:08:13 PM
I have recently relocated the boat from NY to Louisiana and am in the process of installing reverse cycle air conditioning.  Does anyone have drawings of doors for an mki? Would like to use them while in the slip with the AC on.  I have time at the moment to build them, so I shall make that attempt instead of buying from a vendor.  Thank you.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

ChrisOB

I actually have a custom canvas cover that snaps over the companionway that we use without the criboards.  The doors were for keeping the cool air inside without lifting the boards.  I decided that I have so many projects that for now I will make some crib boards out of styrafoam and use those with the canvas for now.  That will insulate well and take away the annoyance of lifting up the heavy crib boards to enter and exit.  I'd like to make nice doors eventually but after designing them, sourcing wood, and making them fit perfectly I think that time will be better spent on other projects.  The styrafoam will not be yachtie but it will be effective.

lazybone

I've never heard of them referred to as "crib".  That's interesting.  Do you come from a farming background.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Roc

I also have a canvas cover that we put on the companion way when we are on the boat.  It attaches with snaps.  Keeps the A/C in and easy to enter and exit.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ted Pounds

Quote from: Roc on April 17, 2020, 06:42:50 AM
I also have a canvas cover that we put on the companion way when we are on the boat.  It attaches with snaps.  Keeps the A/C in and easy to enter and exit.

I did the same thing, but added vinyl windows in the canvas to let light in. We also had a canvas framed screen that snapped on too. 
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Rortega46

Chris

Take a look at Zarcor companionway doors.  They are great!  Even if you'd rather make your own, they are worth a look because of great design ideas like changeable inserts (smoke, opaque and screen), maintenance free Starboard-like material, and, best-of-all the replacement hinges are included and they make the doors easily removable.  Don't know where you could get hinges like 'em but they're worth it if available.  Love my Zarcor doors and I am not paid for this endorsement.
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Jim Hardesty

QuoteTake a look at Zarcor companionway doors.  They are great!

I agree, they work and look good on Shamrock.  But then Shamrock is a MKll with no teak on the topsides.  IMHO anyone considering or pricing air conditioning should include companionway doors as part of the overall project.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Rortega46

Chris:  Just wondering... how did you relocate your C34 from NY to Louisiana, and where is it located in Louisiana?
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

chuck53

I made my own as I can't stand using slats.
I also used lift off hinges...makes a big difference

scgunner

That's what's great about these boats, you can reimagine them to suit your personal preferences. I found the original teak slats to be heavy and a bit unwieldy so I made new slats from 1/4" starboard, they're lighter and require no maintenance.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273