Rudder misaligned from factory?

Previous topic - Next topic

LogoFreak

My guess is that was never addressed, moulds are expensive to make so I doubt a mould was discarded to "fix" an issue that was deemed not to affect performance.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Ron Hill

Noah : The MKI C34 molds burned in late 1993 and I suspect all the design effort was then put into building the new C34 MK II.  The MKII was first shown at 1995 Sail EXPO in Atlantic City.

It would be interesting to hear from MKII owners if Catalina finally got the deck mold emergency tiller aligned with the hull ??

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

QuoteIt would be interesting to hear from MKII owners if Catalina finally got the deck mold emergency tiller aligned with the hull ??

Here is Shamrocks.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

Thanks for playing, Jim! Apparently in 1992 being "off-center" was still the norm!  8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : It seems as though the spec tolerance was - "if the emergency till arm fits and turns the rudder" all is OK!?!   :o

I would have thought the MKII tolerance would have been much closer to being nearly centered.  The MKI deck to hull match had to be for that emergency tiller!!

My thought
Ron, Apache #788

dfloeter

Please pardon the slight sideways walk of this question though it is somewhat related. Our cockpit sole gelcoat around the rudder stock cover plate is flexing and has cracked in concentric circles from .5 and 2.5 inches of the plate housing.  Is this an area of concern?
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

rmbrown

December 92, hull 1251
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Bob K

So back in April when I posted my offset rudder post pic, I said I would take a closer look at the rudder before launching.  I did, and think I saw a bit of offset rudder.  I sighted the rudder against the keel. Very difficult to tell.  In the end, there may be a slight misalignment, but it won't make it to the fix it list or cause any worry.
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

KWKloeber

Quote from: Bob K on June 11, 2020, 07:37:17 PM

I sighted the rudder against the keel. Very difficult to tell. 

Bob

Are you referring to a lateral offset, or referring to the plumbness of one vs the other?

-Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Bob K

Ken,
Plumbness if that's a word! Sight along each side the rudder and keel.   Looks like bottom of rudder is slightly to port.  Which matches with the rudder post being slightly to starboard on top as viewed in the access port.  But so little, and who's to say the keel is perfectly set on center? 
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

glennd3

Clearly now we know why some of our boats list to port!
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

KWKloeber

"Plumbobjectivity"

I maintain {STRONGLY) that CTY at some point started installing keels off plumb to correct the unbalanced weight/design (i..e., port list)  I have much evidence of this on my C30, but the short story is that when I removed my keel to rebed the joint, it was out of plumb (to stbd at the bottom) by an inch or so, VERY precisely measured.  CTY has denied it again and again -- but boy what a coincidence, huh? 
When I reinstalled it of course I hung it plumb--and I introduced a port list.  Thank you, Frank, for warning me of that in our telephone discussions at the time about the keel removal/rebedding.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Dave Spencer

Rudder post for hull number 1279.  1994 model built October 1993. 
I'm envious of Jim's stainless steel rudder post access cover on Shamrock.  I see that CD doesn't have them anymore.  Does anyone know a source?
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario