Rudder misaligned from factory?

Previous topic - Next topic

LogoFreak

Hello!

I'm a new member and a new owner of a 1992 Catalina 34, moved up from a Catalina 30 (hull #27, https://jeunesse27.wordpress.com/).

Still exploring and getting to know my new boat but one thing has me puzzled. The rudder post seems to be misaligned, I don't see any indication that a repair was done so it leads me to think this was done at the factory. I noticed it when I removed the cover to access the top of the rudder where you'd insert the emergency tiller. The top of the rudder is completely off Center when compared to the hatch that's cut into the deck which is exactly on the Center line of the boat. As if the top of the rudder post is tilted towards starboard and the bottom of the rudder tilted to port, not sure that makes sense?

Took a picture from down below, it's very visible that the hole was cut out off Center. Is this intentional or was my boat built on a Friday?
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Stu Jackson

Here's what's down below:

https://www.c34.org/faq-pages/techdata-rudder-packing-gland.html

I don't recall anyone ever posting your particular issue.  Only things I can think of is that the clearances aren't that tight or a PO banged the rudder.

If it works fine (does it?) are there other issues other than appearances?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

LogoFreak

There is no damage anywhere so it's not a case of someone possibly hitting the rudder at some point. It was deliberately installed this way at the factory which is why I'm saying either by design or built on a Friday. Boat steers fine, although I haven't had the chance to use it under sail. Once I do I'll know if there's any difference at different points of sail and tacks. I'm checking into this now because I intend to install a below deck autopilot and will have to make brackets and such, if it's something I need to correct the time is now and not after fabricating linear drive actuator brackets and installing it all. I have sent a question to Catalina yachts as well for input.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Ron Hill

Logo : Hard to believe that the factory misaligned the rudder.  I say this because the hull is in a "jig" for most of the production?? but if the emergency tiller cap on the cockpit floor is centerline, then it surely is screwed up!

Don't know what to say because you just might have some problems installing a tiller arm for the actuator? 
Where was your posted picture taken from?  The aft cabin?

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

With the boat out of the water (at least on a MKI), it should be pretty obvious if the rudder is not in the center of the boat or drilled at an angle. The hull shape, skeg and centerline crease, have to line up with the top of the rudder. Caveat: I have no experience with the MKII.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

LogoFreak

Yes the picture was taken from the aft cabin, aft bulkhead removed. I will take a picture of the cockpit floor looking down at the top of the rudder post tomorrow. I had the boat hauled out during inspection but nothing really stood out in terms of the rudder being misaligned. In a few weeks I might be able to dive and check things out a bit closer.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

scgunner

Logo,

That's a real head scratcher. So your rudder post cap is off center, but your rudder sits squarely underneath the boat, correct? In the picture the rudder post is misaligned but the cable wheel sits square. Questions I have are when you turn the wheel lock to lock does the cable wheel wobble? Does the rudder itself remain square when you turn the wheel? Does the rudder have excessive slop? And what does the rudder post cap do while the wheel is turning?

If your boat is out of the water I wouldn't be in a big hurry to get it wet, looking into the crystal ball I see a rudder drop in your future. Also while you're at it I'd pull that cable wheel and clean and seal it before it goes away completely.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Logo : I agree with Kevin about not being in too much of a hurry to get into the water.  I say this because you have a bunch of corrosion on the circular aluminum casting that the rudder cable rides on!!  Especially true (not to hurry) if you are going to install a tiller arm for an autopilot this year.

Don't know how the MKII floor mounted emergency tiller cap seals - "O" ring? gasket?  But figuring out where your salt water leak is coming from and fixing it, I believe is very important!

A few thoughts  :think
Ron, Apache #788

LogoFreak

Hey! Thanks for all the replies. So the boat is already in the water, it was just a short haul out for inspection and pressure wash when I was purchasing it. As said previously nothing caught my eye in regards to rudder miss alignment while viewing at the boat when on the slings. I didn't remove the inspection cover till after the purchase and back in the water. I am not concerned at all with this, I only want to know if it's intentional or it was a screw up at the factory. I can very easily fix the issue, I just don't want to do anything if it's supposed to be like that. Took a few pictures from the top today.

The boat is getting hauled out next spring for an extended dry dock stay as I will be doing a bottom job, blister repair and epoxy barrier coat.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Oh and also to clarify, this is a 1992 mk1.5 not a mkII
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Noah

What is your hull #? I believe Ken Juul as well as Glenn Davis both have MK1.5s. Both are C34.org members and recent posters. Maybe they can answer how their rudder posts appear looking down through the emergency tiller Beckson port in the cockpit. Maybe they are all not centered in the hole? Just spitballing here.
Standard Rig

LogoFreak

Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Noah

I was wrong about Ken Juul's boat. His is 1990. Perhaps if you started a new post asking for "MK1.5 owner's help needed regarding rudder post" you might get more targeted responses.
Standard Rig

LogoFreak

I'm waiting for an answer from Catalina yachts, until I haul out again I don't think I'll be able to confirm if the rudder is slightly tilted or not. If it is then no big deal I can replace the rudder tube and glass over the hole in the cockpit floor and re drill it. I might even look into upgrading with jefa bearings while I'm at it.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

scgunner

Logo,

I'm surprised this oddity was missed by the surveyor, you might want to have him come out and take another look and get his opinion on this problem, if it is in fact a problem. It looks like it came from the factory like this, which is not great but on the other hand the boat has been operated by the POs for 28 years apparently without issue. Answers to the questions I asked in my earlier post might give you a clue as to how much of a problem this may or may not be.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273