Fuel Tank Replacement...revisited

Previous topic - Next topic

ewengstrom

I discovered on Saturday that my 32 year old fuel tank is corroded to the point that cleaning it caused several holes to open up in the bottom of it. Apparently the only thing holding the fuel in was corrosion and when cleaned up, which it desperately needed, it just let go.
So I'm now in the market for a replacement fuel tank for our 1988 C-34. This was one of those things I was hoping to avoid, but I guess that was too much to ask for..... :cry4`
I've looked back thru the more recent articles and see that Ezell (out of Florida) may be a good choice for a supplier and I've already shot a note of inquiry off to them for pricing and lead times, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with manufacturers out of the mid-Atlantic area?
Since the current health crisis has us all tied to the dock for the foreseeable future I'm not in a major rush to get this item, and of course some shops may be shuttered and unable to respond, but any insight and or experience is welcome.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Roc

As a start, have you contacted Catalina Yachts on what they can do?  I bet if you give them your hull number, they may give you a quote to duplicate the tank.  Worth a try, then go from there...  at a minimum, they probably have an engineering drawing of the tank they installed.  You can get a copy and look at other sources.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Noah

There is a rough dimensioned drawing on the Catalina Direct website.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

scgunner

The good news is once you find a replacement tank access for R&R is relatively good.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Jon W

Hi Eric, Noah is having trouble logging into the website. He asked me to send you the following correction on the tank sender info he recently sent you -

The correct sender unit should be SSL-12 (12 inches).

I'll relay any questions you have back to Noah until he gets his website issues sorted out.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

ewengstrom

Update: Thanks Jon, I did hear from Noah and he was quite helpful. (Thanks again Noah!!!)
I ended up ordering the new tank from Ezell Industries. I approved the final drawing on April 9, the tank arrived here in Northern Va. on April 23....NOT a bad turn around time at all!!!!! Quoted pricing was a couple of dollars less than what Noah paid but now Ezell does NOT include clean out ports so that takes the tank out a few $$$ to add them. The C/O ports cost an additional $75.00 each. I'd bought one for the old tank so I only opted to add one to the new tank and will install the clean out I have.
The real kicker here was the freight, Noah said he'd gotten his sent out via UPS and the woman I spoke to said that really wasn't a good option....(I'm guessing she remembered Noah)  :D
I had mine shipped LTL and it showed up strapped to a pallet in perfect condition. Freight to get it to Virginia was $179.38 and while that increased the pucker factor a bit, the lack of damage that UPS can do was worth it.
Here's another nugget, it really does pay to take care and keep up with your maintenance. (Like we all didn't know that...but having a good illustration helps to reinforce these efforts)
We bought Ohana in pretty pitiful condition, lack of regular maintenance was evident everywhere and the fuel system was no exception. The tank was LOADED with junk and had obviously been neglected just like everything else. So we got to buy a new tank.
A buddy of mine also bought a 1988 C34 later last year but his has obviously been cared for a bit better than ours. When he saw that we were having to replace our tank he decided to pull his and install an clean out. We pulled it this past Sunday and immediately poked a 4" hole in it....what we found was shocking (to me anyway), the inside of the tank was virtually brand new!!! No corrosion, no sludge...nothing!!! The date stamp on his tank indicates our tank is about 3 months older than his.
I just thought I'd share this for folks down the road faced with replacing a fuel tank, and for those wondering if polishing your fuel is worth it....IMHO...it most certainly is!!!
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

scgunner

Eric,

I've never had a problem with gunk in my tank and I've never had it cleaned out. What I have done and I'd recommend is to treat your tank regularly with diesel biocide and water-sorb also as much as possible keep the tank topped up especially when the boat is going to sit for extended periods of time.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Bill Shreeves

Just an FYI, it's my understanding that Ezell manufactures the replacement tanks for the 34 for Catalina Direct.

I too replaced mine with a tank from Ezell in the Fall of '18.  They were great to work with, it was perfect and I saved a couple hundred boat bucks from the CD price including shipping.   The old one sprung a leak while the admiral and I were staying on the boat for a long weekend but out to dinner.  So, we caught it before much got in to the bilge.

It's highly recommended to mount strips of starboard, or similar material, every 12" or so with 5200 across the width on the bottom of the tank to elevate the tank off the platform so condensation won't form between the tank and the platform and promote corrosion.  Also make sure that the material is mounted with no voids in the adhesive between the tank and material so moisture can't form and or get trapped against the tank.  If memory serves I used 1/4" thick 2" wide.  Also make sure the strips don't extend beyond the sides of the tank to keep from creating a shelf for moisture to accumulate on.

The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Noah

I believe Ezell used to make the tanks for Catalina Direct but no longer do so. The story Ezell told me was that CD required them to join the The National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) In order to be a supplier to CD. Ezell refused to join and stopped selling tanks to them.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

ewengstrom

Kevin, I too haven't experienced this before, I'm not like the previous owner of this boat and will follow a program of regular maintenance (probably to the extreme) to keep her in top shape. It just amazed me to see this boat in such neglected condition. As an aside, I have a dear friend with a C30 that does pump his tank every other year and cleans it, he is MOST meticulous with maintenance. Last year after he emptied it, polished the fuel and serviced the system he experienced a clog at the fuel pump on the first day of our annual cruise!!! There was a 90 degree fitting at the fuel filter and a glop of the foulest stuff you've ever seen got caught and caused a complete blockage.  :shock:
Bill, interesting to note that our old tank had custom cut "Dri-Deck" under it and it still failed!!! It looked like it had been there for some time too. That buddy of mine who has the nearly perfect 32 year old tank...well...that tank is sitting right on the plywood shelf as it has for 32 years and when we turned it over the bottom of his tank looks just fine too!!!!! Not sure what to say on that one but I did put the "Dri-Deck" back under the new tank when I installed it this past Saturday.
Noah, I thought I'd read that Ezell made the tanks for CD, but I didn't know "the rest of the story" as it were.
I will say that Ezell was GREAT to deal with, Rhonda sent me the drawings very quickly and we had a few back and forth exchanges regarding some changes I wanted. Once they had the signed final copy the turn around time was well within the lead time she gave me and shipping was even one day earlier than the tracking indicated. Overall this was a great experience.
One thing I'd like to have added that I didn't do, I don't understand why these tanks have a mounting flange at one end of the tank (the forward end) when there is enough room to add a small flange at the back end too. The the taper of the hull at this point is such that I'd bet Catalina was worried that someone would use a long screw and send it right thru the hull......I gave the tank a good tug when I screwed it down and it was quite solid when I finished...but I like to overdo things and this seemed like it could have been addressed...IMHO.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

scgunner

Eric,

Boat neglect is not only not unusual it might be common. There's great excitement on initial purchase, especially for first timers, after two or three years excitement begins to wane. Less time is spent on the boat, fewer trips down to the boat, fewer outings, the less time spent with the boat the more maintenance needs start to pile up. It gets to the point where you can count the number of trips to the boat annually on one hand which equals a neglected boat, I've seen it many times.

Top Gun was purchased with a three way partnership, lots of fun and good times had by all for the first few years, after 3 or 4 years I was doing all the maintenance and pretty much the only one using the boat. Pretty soon both partners were looking for a way out. Eventually they got out, but it was to say the least ugly. The partners were my friends, now they are neither partners or friends. So I've seen first hand how easy it is to neglect a boat.