Recreational boating banned in San Diego, CA

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Unfortunately, our county health dept. just tightened their social distancing campaign, banning all recreational use of Public waterways, bays and beaches: including boating, water sports, and swimming. As of now the marinas are still open, so we can get to our boats to work on them or just chill-out, but are not allowed to cast-off the lines. Time to varnish!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

glennd3

One might say things are going a little too far.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Stu Jackson

Quote from: glennd3 on April 04, 2020, 01:56:38 PM
One might say things are going a little too far.

They certainly are.  The significant differences between different ports & different states is incomprehensible.  Flat-earthers making nautical decisions.  What could go wrong?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scgunner

Thank goodness, what would we do without big government to tell us how to live our lives!
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

mark_53

Unbelievable.  It's hard to get closer to six feet on the water so what's the rational?  I can see it coming...next they will tell us we can't drive our gas powered cars/boats because of climate change.  The new progressive order.

ghebbns

You are right that you can't get within 6 feet while sailing, but how did you get to your boat? Car?  Did you stop for gas along the way?  What about provisions?  All of these interactions increase the chance of spread.  And the more people that are driving, the greater the chance of an accident which is the last thing our health system needs right now.  I understand that these restrictions may seem overly strict, but ask a nurse or doctor in NYC if they wish that restrictions had been stronger and you may have a different opinion.
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Roland Gendreau

That's the drawback of blanket restrictions;   My yacht club is less than 5 minutes from my house.   I drive most of the time but I could walk.   I can dinghy out to my mooring if necessary.  Luckily they have not closed marinas here but i would be upset if they did.
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

mregan

Hopefully that doesn't spread East.  Getting out on the boat is the only thing I've been looking forward too.

Mick Laver

It gets even sillier. The Port of San Diego closed down the bay to recreational boating, but left its two main public anchorages (La Playa in Shelter Island and Glorietta Bay in Coronado) open. A true "you can't get there from here" situation. The Port has since figured out that didn't make a lot of sense, and closed the anchorages as well. Still this policy has me scratching my head.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Jon W

Finally some good news. I just looked at the San Diego Port Authority website. Beginning Friday May 1, recreational boating is allowed on San Diego Bay. All persons on the vessel must be from the same household.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

:clap :8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig