Leak in hull to deck joint

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisW

I found what looks like a leak in my hull to deck joint.  Please see the attached pictures.  That bolt in the pictures is in the port side in the V berth.

Does anybody have any ideas on what would cause this and/or how to fix it?  Thanks.

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

ChrisW

Quote from: KWKloeber on March 22, 2020, 08:03:38 AM
Chris

Did check to see if the nut(s) had loosened?
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,10335.msg79870/topicseen.html#msg79870

-k

That particular nut wasn't loose, but since you mentioned it, I am finding some other ones that are definitely loose.  I wonder if that's all it is.  Thanks.

mdidomenico

it's probably also the caulking around the bolt between the hull and the rub rail.  i have several like that.  i removed the bolts to pull the rub rail to replace the stem fitting.  the 5200 in the joint/bolt hole was thin and more like old silicon then 5200 devils glue.  (it was definitely 5200, just old)  if i had to guess, the guy that built my '89 used 5200 cautiously and probably spun the bolt when it tightened.  the rubber in my rub rail is out so i've rebed several of the screws already with butyl, leaks stopped.

1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Ron Hill

Chris : The leak is definitely from the rub-rail channel bolt.  Here's what you might try first before removing the vinyl and recaulking the bolt!

Cut a slot in the end of the bolt.  Then take a box end wrench and put it on the nut.  Take a common screw driver put it in the cut slot, hold the screwdriver taunt and then tighten the nut.  It's worth a try to see if that tightens up and stops the leak!??

If not you'll have to remove or might as well replace the vinyl inset , recaulk the bolt and reinstall the vinyl!!  Not that hard, but time consuming and done when it is warm outside!!

A few thoughts     :clap
Ron, Apache #788