kayak opinions

Previous topic - Next topic

Joyride

Hey Gang,

I'm looking to add a sit on top kayak to the toy box this year and want to bring on the boat occasionally.  Anybody have any suggestions on practicality of sailing with a 12' kayak on the bow or on the side with a rack?

Also we have the walk through 91 model.  I'm assuming it will still be a pain to get in from the boat.  Anybody care to share what works best?

1991 Catalina 34 (mk 1.5) Universal M35 Wing Keel

mark_53

I have a 10' that I bungee to the side guard rail. Your sit on top model will probably be easier to get in/on.  It was tricky getting in and out but doable in calm waters.  Not a primary means of getting ashore.

Jim Hardesty

I have both a sit-on-top and traditional, low budget, kayaks.  I haven't taken them cruising but I have taken them around near by on Shamrock.  Great to have when anchoring, I enjoy paddling them from the sailboat.  Getting in and out, isn't a problem for me, I'm 73.  Except if it's choppy and the kayaks bouncing up a foot or two.  I tie the kayak snug to ladder when boarding and have anything needed in reach on the swim platform . 
I've only set them forward on the side decks or towed them a couple of miles.  I've thought about inflatables but haven't bought.  see "SeaEagle.com"  My lady friend has one, it really isn't a toy but a real kayak, just don't compare to a 3K fiberglass kayak.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jim Lucas

I have a 10' inflatable kayak which is light and easy to load/unload and super nice that it doesn't damage and knock against the hull of the boat. Tracking isn't as good as a hard shell "Ocean" models but it certainly does the job.

I had a pair of foam covered kayak racks from our previous power boat that I chose to mount in-board of the safety rails so docking isn't impeded.
Easy walkaround even with the kayak on board and the Genoa sheet doesn't get hung up while sailing!
Jim Lucas
1999 MKII #1431, M35B, TR/FK 
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Victoria, BC Canada