Salon Table

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Wey

My salon table has seen better days. Two issues.
1) The jam screw knob that is used to hold the table in position has come apart (3 pieces) inside where the white metal tab jams against the inner tube of the telescopic design. I have fashioned a number of different replacements. None acceptable. By the way this knob screw is a fine thread.
2) The fastening of the pedestal post on to the bottom of the table has come loose. (poor design) Again all attempts to fashion something to grip or squeeze the post together have failed.

Has anyone else encountered this? If so is there a fix or should I just order parts from Catalina or there supplier?

Yes Stu I did an exhaustive site search and I believe I have an unique issue to deal with!

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Jim Moore

I also have the same problem.  It just started a couple weeks ago.  The threads seem to be stripped and cannot repair unless sent to a machine shop.  The table rocks back and forth making dining miserable.  I am going to look for some parts for the repair and if a solution is found, I will post the results.  Help from anyone will be appreciated.  Thanks
1988 #729
std rig/fin
Life is good and I enjoy being a participant in it

Fulvio

You are not the first to experience this issue  :p

Does this help: ?
http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=329609511&f=829605811&m=428609811&r=728609811#728609811

I sent the table column in to the Taco shop, and it fixed the wobble, but I still can't quite lock it to prevent rotating around the vertical column axis by a few degrees.

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

Norris Johnson

Been there. Done that. Within the first year I had the boat, my screw stripped out. I called Catalina and sent them the parts. They replace all the parts and I got a letter from Frank Butler stating that the screw looked like it had teeth marks on it from vice grips. I called him and talked to him personally and told him I had to use vice grips to get the screw out after it had stripped its threads.

I don't like that design, but I'll live with it.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Mike Smith

Mark -

I think we have used the salon table about twice for actual dining since we bought Breezer in 1997. There is just not enough room around the table and getting in and out is awkward. We usually just used plates or trays or the folding table in the cockpit. The salon table has been in the down position supporting the settee cushion at all other times.  About two months ago, I removed the table top and unscrewed the base and stowed them in the aft cabin.  I used a 3 1/2" hole saw to enlarge the hole in the sole enough to accept a 3" Beckson inspection port w/inset.  It is amazing how much more room we now have below and how much more we use the settee area for socializing with the salon table gone.  Try life without it for a while - you can always re-install it later.

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Stu Jackson

Salon Tables

To each his own.  We always keep ours up.  Had a wonderul sit down dinner for four last Saturday night, with a full tablecloth and candles.  We love the size for eating and playing table games after dinner.  It also forces me to store "less used" stuff on the starboard side.

For access to the storage area under the starboard side forward of the water tank and to starboard of the midships under settee area (where we have two batteries), I cut the long stoarge top so that I just remove the long starboard cushion and lift a small piece of cover, leaving the heavy 80% of the rest of it in place over the water tank.

There have been many articles about shortening up the salon table: early Mainsheets, the C320 section of this August 2003 Mainsheet, Al Watson's in our Projects section, and others.  As I recollect, Al's idea was to make a smaller cocktail table, and he kept his full sized table in the aft cabin for use when necessary.  Others have cut and hinged.

Great ideas, keep 'em coming.

Stu

PS

guess we have to be reasonably creative with our searches (who would've guess dinette?!?  Thanks, Fulvio.  Next time you look for head information, try bathroom   :D

[This message was edited by Stu Jackson #224 1986 "Aquavite" on August 15, 2003 at 11:55 AM.]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

c34member

My wife and I are both kind of 'leggy' (I'm 6'3" and she's 5'9") and I mentioned to our dealer that the table was tight when we were first inspecting our new boat.  The next week he came back to see us (the boat had been at his dock for commissioning) and asked if we had gotten used to the table.  I said " I guess we must have."  Turns out he had added a 1-1/2" teak spacer ring between the pedestal and the table top.  I believe it was factory supplied if requested.  Makes a world of difference for leg room and the table still collapses down to make a berth.  It remains the one envy point I have with the C36.  I do like the fold up bulkhead style of table (but I did get clobbered in the knee once on our friends boat when he 'accidently' lost his grip when lowering it).