Slip Location is next to Main Power for the Dock--Problems?

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck.Philips

I just received a call from the Marina.  I have a chance to move our 34, Forever Young to a new slip in a much nicer marina than we are currently located.  It's 20 minutes closer to our home and has pump outs every two slips.  My only concern is this new slip has the power box for the entire dock right where our bow will be.  Is there anything I should be worried about before accepting and moving to this new slip?  New Zinks are put on regularly by my boat cleaner.

Thanks
Chuck Philips
"Forever Young"
2005 Catalina 34--#1725--Anniversary Edition

jmcdonald

The dock power boxes in our marina give off a hum. I would go by in person and see if there is a noise
that may bother you or the admiral. You also may consider that once in the new marina, you can move
around as slips open up.

Noah

After consulting with "my expert"  (electrical engineer brother) I agree that if the marina is "decent" I wouldn't worry about current leakage issues AKA damage, your zincs, etc.  However, transformer hum from their equipment box could be an issue and that volume and frequency of occurrence is not predictable. I would make a visit to the slip and check it out.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

scgunner

Chuck,

Sounds like you're talking about Alamitos Bay Marina. The boxes are rather large and have a low buzz, but Id still take the slip, it gets you into the marina. Once you're there you can put in a request to move to another slip within the marina, you should be able to get another slip within a few months. If you decline this one and stay where you are until the next one comes up the next one might also have a box.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Chuck.Philips

You're right.  Just down from LBYC. We've been in Shoreline for a long time and think it will be a good move.
Chuck Philips
"Forever Young"
2005 Catalina 34--#1725--Anniversary Edition

Ron Hill

Guys : I Always try to get a slip with the full length or finger pier on the port side.  That way slowing down in reverse pulls you nicely into the pier!   :thumb:
Always thought that to be the primary concern over power boxes and water hookups. 

A thought 
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

I also have a downwind Portside-to finger. Best of both worlds! I am very lucky...except when a cold wind blows through the cabin when docked. I made some clear plexi hatch boards I install when that occurs. 8)
Standard Rig

scgunner

Alamitos Bay slips have full fingers on both sides of the slips. Depending on your preference(upwind, downwind, crosswind)you can request a move to that location, once you're in the marina. I have and prefer and upwind slip.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Guys : Having to back into a slip sucks for many maneuvering, tide current, and wind reasons.  Those are obvious, but the gawkers walking down the dock surprised me looking straight into the salon!  :cry4`

Had to make a top hatch board out of smoky lexan and put it into the companion way to block their view.   :clap

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

The thing I like about my downwind slip is I can "sail" in by coasting with just the wind on the dodger alone. Fortunately, there is not any noticeable current in my neck of the bay.
Standard Rig

scgunner

Noah,

That's an interesting approach, what I like about an upwind slip is I can approach the slip crosswind with the jib, as I near the slip I slowly roll up the jib which slows the boat, when I reach the slip I crank a hard 90 degrees which kills almost all momentum and I can ghost into the slip. The marina people frown on sailing into your slip however.

Stu Jackson

Our slip on Alameda had the west wind from starboard.  We could sail downwind in the fairway, then turn beam on and either furl or blow the jib.

My slip here in Canada doesn't work at all, since it is in a dead zone behind some big motor yacht houses.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."