Catalina34 MkII Port Side Gate Stanchion Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

cashton

Can anyone provide guidance on how to replace the gate stanchion on a 34 MkII. I removed the bathroom cabinet hoping to gain access to the back side of the stanchion, but there is fiberglass structure preventing access to what I would think would be nuts attached to the stanchion base mounting screws. Is it safe to cut the fiberglass structure there without damaging wires, etc? I could not find any guidance in past tech notes. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim Hardesty

I removed and bedded all the stanchions on Shamrock without having to cut any fiberglass.  That was a while ago, don't remember that stanchion being a problem.  I suggest you feel directly under the stanchion base.  If there are no nuts there may be a plate in the fiberglass that the screws were threaded into.  (I seem to remember something like that)  If that's the case just unscrew them. 
If you are doing the rebed job, consider calling garhauer a call and get backing plates.  A big. improvement over fender washers.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jon W

Backing plates are also available from Catalina Direct. Don't know how the prices compare.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Roc

Open up the little door that holds the toilet tissue, then look up.  That might be the access.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD