Mast-up wind transducer installation

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle Ewing

Is it practical to install a masthead wind transducer with the mast up?  I don't have an existing transducer.  The biggest disadvantage I've read is difficulty fishing through existing conduit and risk of cable mast slap.  Placing twist ties every few feet supposedly dampens the sound.

For those who've had it done, what can I expect to have a rigger due the up-high work?

How about wireless?  Does the higher purchase cost offset installation cost and reliability risk?

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Noah

IMO, If not taking mast down I would go wireless. Too much chance of wire slapping around without a fixed conduit.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

I'm with Noah.  How long has it been since the mast has been down for a close inspection?  If it's been more than 5 years IMHO it's overdue.  I think some disagreement on the timing is coming, that's what I do with my use, fresh water, seasonal, lots of use but not hard racing.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

WBev

we have a wireless.  Have been custodian for one season on the Chesapeake bay with no issues.  The main concern is the battery dying.  I believe the one installed is about 4 years old.  I plan on checking it over this season. 

Bill
Wobegon II
1992 C-34 MK 1.5
#1211,  Wing/Tall Rig
Universal M35
Magothy River, MD

Ron Hill

Kyle : If you look in the older Mainsheet tech notes you'll find an article that I wrote where I installed a Data Marine wind instrument on the top of the mast with the mast up and the boat in the water!!!

My experience with the wireless wind units has been that the Captain is usually up the mast replacing it & sending it back!!  Maybe the wireless units now are better than they were 4/5 years ago??

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Kyle Ewing

Thanks for advice.  I'm checking with my rigger and yard for their advice. I don't like heights so I won't be doing it myself.  Worst case is I buy electronics this spring and install all but wind then step the mast in the fall.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Ron Hill

Guys : It wasn't that hard to do with the mast up.  Just follow what I did in that Mainsheet tech note article!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788