Smallest plumbing pipe diameter

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

I'm looking at replumbing our hot and cold water pipes.

Preference would be to get away from hose and clamp style and use push in pipes and fittings.

Any input?

And recommendations for the smallest diameter pipe?

TIA.

PAUL
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Paul

My bro replumbed his Carver totally in pex.
Plastic pex fittings and a crimper are a whole lot less $$$ than using shark bite type fittings.
The crimp rings and tool do a better job than the crimp/lock type, but that crimp tool is a slight more $$$ than the other. 

The newer type pex that you can use with the plastic expansion/contraction rings is REALLY cool (I was on a project where the plumbers used it) but the tool is $$$$$$$$$$ unless you can borrow one from a plumber.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

I replaced the hot water lines with PEX and Sharkbite fittings. No more leaks at the water heater.

It is simple to do, looks cleaner when installed, but the PEX is stiffer. See what fittings are are available where you shop first, then think through how you will run the lines ahead of time.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

britinusa

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Jon W

Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

lazybone

There's a softer version of the pex standard stuff and easier to deal with.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Noah

Lazybones- what's it called? And is it good for hot water?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

lazybone

I don't know what it's called but it passed the a very stringent building inspectors scrutiny in a house I recently designed.  ( I think it's PEX-A)
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Jon W

I didn't spend a lot of time researching. The little I found is if it's white it's PEX-A. If it's red or blue it's PEX-B. If it's a shiny reddish orange it's PEX-C.

Pex-A is more flexible than PEX-B, but costs more. PEX-C is supposed to be for under floor heating systems (I think).

I used PEX-B, red. Stiffer material that made fishing from the water heater, under the floor, to under the head sink quick and easy. I used a Sharkbite 90 to make the bend up to the faucet.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

britinusa

Great input, thanks!

Plan is to use the standard (I think that's PEX-B) and crimp fittings.
White will be for unpressurized cold water (from the tanks to the Manifold before the pump and to the pump)
Red for pressurized hot water (from HW Tank to T then to Galley Faucet and Head Faucet and Shower Thermostat)
Blue for pressurized Cold water (from Pump to Manifold - Drinking water faucet, Galley Sink Faucet, Hot Water tank inlet, Head Cold water faucet, shower Thermostat)

Researching supply manifold options - looking for ball valves with pex connections.

I'll update my plumbing diagram when I have all the bits.

Thanks guys.

Paul

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

rmbrown

Looking forward to this... I think I'll put this on my pre-trip to-do list.  I'll be drinking out of this stuff for 4 months straight!
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

mainesail

You can use 3/8" PEX but it is much less common so it will cost more than 1/2" as will the fittings.

We only use red & blue straight lengths of PEX. Rolled PEX is a PITA to work with. We own all the different crimp tools/expansion tools etc. and find the SS crimp rings to be the best compromise. Not a fan of Shark-Bite fittings as they tend to look like "corroded" in a year (from verdigris). If using quick connects, I typically prefer the plastic Watts/SeaTech fittings instead. You can also get plastic crimp fittings too and they never corrode...
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Jon W

No signs of corrosion on my Sharkbite fittings installed May 2019.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

britinusa

The crimp tool arrived, got the one that makes or breaks the crimps.

So far I figure the cost to be about $150, which includes the Crimp tool, Pipe Cutting tool, crimps, pipe (White, Red, Blue) and the connectors which are mostly Pex to PVC and a bunch of Pex T's and L'bows.

Should start on it next month - I have another project that is creeping up in priorities - New Batteries!

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water