Repainting mast

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

Any good protocol for preparing and repainting the mast now that it is out?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

KWKloeber

cliff

MANY yrs ago (CRS) I used a 4 or 5 step process (after removing paint and fine sanding) --
A cleaner, acid etch, rinse, 2-part etching primer, 2 coats finish with a little flattener in it.

I used Dupont Imron for the top coat and the prep steps were what a client recommended (who manufactured concrete mixers and used Imron and that process to paint the drums and truck body and chassis - A very tough industrial finish!)

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Analgesic

I'll repeat my experience that I mentioned in another post this past year as a counterpoint to spending a very large sum painting your mast.  My 1988 mast showed chunks of the original white coating missing exposing the silver aluminum.  Based on a friend's testimonial, I gave it one rough pass with 80 grit sandpaper and two coats of Rustoleum medium gloss white at $8/quart.  Total time was under 2 hours for my wife and I and total cost < $15.  From any distance it gleams white in the sun.  Yes, you can see the imperfections up close but it's 32 years old.  It has held up perfectly through two seasons so far.  With the money saved, I can afford a new main sail!
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

Noah

Lots of ways to skin this cat. However, it is customary to use a conversion etch coat and/or zinc chromate primer on any bare aluminum, prior to applying whatever "top" coat.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

I removed my mast 3+ years ago. While it was out I repainted it, and touched up the boom. The process steps I used to repaint are listed in the attached PDF. I used Interlux Special Thinner 216, Interlux Pre-Kote (white), and Interlux Brightside (white) for both the mast and boom. I applied each with a brush.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

crieders

Jon the pdf does not download
Have anyone used awlgrip?

Jon W

I wonder why? When I click on the link it opens for me on my iPhone and computer.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

crieders

That is very helpful
Did you consider Interlux Perfection or Awlgrip?

Jon W

I went with what was available locally, so I didn't look into either of the ones you mentioned.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca