11 gallon Hot water Heater

Previous topic - Next topic

sailingdolphin

Has anyone ever tried to replace the original 6 gallon cylider hot water heater with an ll gallon square hot water heater.

Force 10 has a stainless one that measures 15 3/4 x 15 3/4 by 21" that looks to me like it would fit.  The 21" includes the pipes on the outside.  It is only $319 vs the Raritan 6 gallon is $499 and not stainless

Is there a downside to going to an 11 gallon?

sailingdolphin

Well,

I am going to go buy it and attempt to install it today.

I just wanted to make sure that going to an 11 gallon doesn't overheat the engine or anything else I might be missing.

Thanks

sailingdolphin

Can anyone please tell me if an 11 gallon hot water heater will cause any problems with the engine?

jentine

Eleven gallon or one hundred eleven gallon water heater will make no difference to the engine.  The water heater is merely an ancillary device that contributes nothing to the engine cooling circuit.  It is a  non-contributory parasite.
Jim Kane

Fulvio

If anything, a larger heater tank would help increase the cooling system efficiency.

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

Stu Jackson

Fulvio's right, but only up to the point that the water in the heater got hot.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sailingdolphin

Thank you for your responses.

I was able to fit in the 11 gallon heater with some customizing without losing any drawers.

The only thing I wonder about is the fact that the water heater only gets to 145 degrees I guess that no big deal.

It works great! I think I am going to turn the foot pump for the ice box into an electric pump since I lowered the plywood that was holding the pumps I can now put in a drawer at the very bottom and theres no need to have a space for the foot pump.

Stu Jackson

Donna & Doug

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

That's a great job, and as far as I know, the first time someone's done that.

We're sure you have the pictures to prove it and ar esending them to Steve Lyle for publication in the Mainsheet in Novemebr (due date is Sept 1)

Right????????????

Great job,

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

sailingdolphin

Thanks!  I will need to borrow a digital camera from someone to take pictures.  I will work on it.

I love it! It really works well. By the way the cost ended up being only $279 at Boat US.

Here is a little tip that has saved me alot of money almost everything I buy seems to be cheaper at Boat US. So, if you only have a West Marine close to you then get a Boat US catalog and West Marine will price match. I carry that catalog with me everytime I go into West Marine.

How do I get a subscription to the  Mainsheet?

What is Steve's address to send the information?

P.S. Ron, instead of 4 couples. I think I will have 2 and take longer showers   :D

Ted Pounds

To get a subscription to mainsheet you need to join the association.  Contact Stu Jackson for that.  His address, along with Steve's is on the national officers listing accessed through  the 'Officers' link on the homepage.  Mainsheet is a great magazine.  I've been getting it for 18 years; even when I was boatless in the early 90's.  :cool:

Ted

By the way, another good catalog to carry into West Marine is Defender.  They're often even cheaper.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

C34 International Association Membership

Donna & Doug

Ted's right.  You can print out a membership application from the main website, fill it out and mail it to me with your check.

Other benefits of membership

- you get a CD-ROM of the website (which includes all the old Tech Notes)
-you get access to all the past Tech Notes on the website (without membership you get access to the Tech Notes Index)
- reduced price on BOATUS membership

As I recollect you have an older boat which is a great reason to read through the old Tech Notes (starting in 1987) to make sure you're "ship-shape."

Also, reading through them will save you asking a lot of questions that C34 owners have "been through before."

We found the Tech Notes invaluable both before we bought and after we purchased our 1986 model.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Stu

sailingdolphin

I would love to give them some heartburn. Where do you get a defender catalog?

Thanks

Stu Jackson

Defender Catalog

Donna & Doug

Like almost everything else in life these days, try www.defender.com.
That should be a good start, then, if necessary, try a Google search.

Stu

bob

FYI, West Marine in the Tampa area does not honor Defender's prices. Their pol;icy here is, they only honor prices of Companies that have local outlets. There is BoatUS, but West Marine owns them now, so their prices will be the same.

Stu Jackson

Defender Reference

Donna & Doug

Glad my "Defender" website suggested reference didn't get you to the defense department. :)

Heartburn is something we try not to do, encourage or bother with.  

Please use your "smarts" rather than your "knuckles."

You can be competitive without be overly aggressive.

Assertiveness is fine until you start hitting people.

Keep the level down, fun and sailor-like, in life (yours, but your business) and here on the message board.

This message board is primarily technical, NOT chatty.

Thanks

Stu

PS  -  please sign up with your boat name and hull number in your display name.