Upper shroud pin size for top fitting

Previous topic - Next topic

rmbrown

Hey gang...  My boat is a 93 model year built in december of 92.  I'm not at the boat but I'm pricing replacement standing rigging.  In the manual on this side, for the 91 M1.5 boat, the uppers are listed (page 24) as 1/2 pin at the top and 1/2 stud at the bottom. 

Catalina Direct's replacement uppers list a 5/8" pin at the top.  I called and talked to tech support, and he verified that the eye on their made rigging is 5/8, and the hole in the replacement upper tangs is also 5/8, but that he was seeing the same 1/2 listed on the drawing he had.

The MkII manual still lists a 1/2" pin.  (MkI manual doesn't list pin size or, if it does, I couldn't find it.)

I'm concerned since the drawings in the manual seem to have remained unchanged yet the CD parts aren't getting sent back.  Anyone got an upper pin laying around they can measure?
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Dave Spencer

Mike,
Our hull numbers are pretty close together.  I assume you're talking about the upper shroud, not the forestay and backstay.
I know that the forestay and backstay upper pins are 5/8" x 1".  I measured them some time ago to have the information at my fingertips if I found myself shopping for spares.  I've attached a picture of the upper forestay pin and then another one showing the upper forestay and the upper shroud in the same view.  The shroud pin looks to be 1/2" to my eye based on comparing it to the known 5/8" upper forestay pin.  But I've never had the upper shroud pin in my hand.  The lower shroud pins are definitely 1/2" x1".  I measured them just as I measured the forestay pins. 
As always, your mileage may vary.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

rmbrown

Thank you... and interesting...  it seems you match the drawing but not the upper shroud kits sold by Catalina Direct.  Things that make me go "hmmm..."
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Ron Hill

Mike : Go to a local or mail order chandlery and get both a 5/8" and 1/2" pin.  Check their return policy (if necessary) and you'll be all set for no surprises!! 

A thought   :clap
Ron, Apache #788

rmbrown

If only it was that easy... i'm ordering new standing rigging.  It's the hole in the eye terminal at the top of the uppers i'm worried about, not the pin.  :)
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Jon W

Took a while to find these in my garage. If these are what you're asking about -

The holes in the clevis's (first photo) are 5/8" diameter.
The single holes in the lowers (second photo) are 5/8" diameter, and the two hole pattern is 1/2" diameter.
The holes in the uppers (third photo) are 5/8" diameter.

These are my originals and have wear. Got to go, but if you have questions I'll be back in about an hour.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

rmbrown

That matches what Catalina Direct sells but not what their drawings (or mine) show.  Probably just a drawing error but COULD be, I suppose, something that varied from boat to boat.  I guess I'll be pulling my rigging down and measuring before ordering, if I go with mechanical terminals at the bottom.  If I go with swaged terminals at the bottom, I'll just send them the old stuff. :)
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Noah

Mike— Why not just go up the mast and measure or send a local rigger up to measure or buy your rigging from a local rigger/rigging shop?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

rmbrown

Reasonable questions both... 

I am working with a local rigger, and he's more than willing to go up the mast for me, but he's booked for the next couple of weeks and I wanted to get a jump on things.  One of us will go up before an order is placed. 

No local shop, honestly... but he has several sources that he uses that will make and ship, though.  He's great about getting wholesale prices and passing the savings along to me.  He doesn't make his money reselling, he makes it when I pay for his time.  To that end, I was working up a list of what I needed so we could use it to get quotes from three different vendors, both swaged top and bottom (in which case I'd send them my old stuff) and mechanical terminals at the bottom (in which case, I'd just have to go up and measure the pin).
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC