Standing Rigging Mechanical Terminals

Previous topic - Next topic

rmbrown

What's the current collective opinion of mechanical terminals - sta-lok, hi-mod, and norseman in particular?

I need to replace my standing rigging and I think I'm going with mechanical terminals.  If all else was equal, I think I'd choose norseman just because of how long they've been in the business, but alas, they are not out of business.

Any experience using them?  Any issue with size and them not fitting where the swaged terminals used to fit, particularly at the masthead?
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Jim Hardesty

Mike,
On my previous boat I changed from hank on jib to furling, the Furlex kit came with a new forestay with a Norseman, I think, terminal at the bottom.  Was easy enough to assemble.  That was over 15 years ago and it's still working.   
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

rmbrown

I looked at Catalina Direct and their replacement standing rigging is all swaged at the top with a Hi-Mod mechanical fitting at the bottom, allowing it to be cut to length at the boat.  Not sure if that makes hi-mod better, cheaper, or what, but at least I know there's not a size problem. :)
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Bill Shreeves

FYI Practical Sailor reviewed the big 3 swageless fittings in their June 2015 issue.  Additional articles later on sealing vs not and pull tests
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD