Aftermarket transmission rebuilt kit

Previous topic - Next topic

andre

Hi all the members, I hope you had a nice holiday. On my transmission my mechnical man said that it would be prefer to rebuilt and change the friction discs and the two trust washer. So Westerbeke has the kit for 1000.00 canadian dollars and I check on Ebay and I can have the same kit for about half the price of westerbeke. My question : Is there any of you who has buy the aftermarket kit and how it fit. Thank you If there is one of you who has rebuilt his transmission I would like your impression Hurth hbw 100-2-r
L'Apache hull#1377  1997 Quebec Canada universal 35bc

dfloeter

When our tranny started sloughing off too much particulate into the oil, I was advised by the ZF reps and other knowledgeable minds around Annapolis to just buy a new unit.  The eBay kits apparently require some machining to fit properly and the parts aren't as robust as the factory kits. My sources were a bit biased but I chose to believe them and play it safe. The replacement, ZF-12, is larger than the HBW-100, but fit with no trouble. The linkage is still on the right but the geometry is a little different.  The engine had to be raised ½" or so.  Just my experience.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

andre

Thank you I'm going to considere that. So I saw A ZF 10M rebuilt that will fit better

lazybone

I'm curious about the parts that need "machining"?  Could you tell us what parts in the rebuild kit don't fit?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

dfloeter

If I remember right, the issue was thrust washers with too small an ID and the thickness was less than the originals.  The rep was biased certainly but convincing.  BTW, the ZF10 was priced significantly higher than the ZF12. This might be due to a much larger production run as the 12 is used extensively in some parts of the country.  The example I got was all the mud "something" boats down in the bayou run these things hard and hold up well and are quite numerous.  As stated previously, on our Mark 2, the ZF12 fit very well.
At the time I priced the two at Catalina Direct that had $3500 and $1872 for the 10 and 12 respectively. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

kh3412

"Twin disk" will work with some work on linkage and clerance for much lower price.
C36 site has members that made the switch. I am in the middle of changing over.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

dfloeter

The Twin Disk looks like a great option.    I wish I had known of this one.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

andre

Can I have more information about the twin disc. Web site? What number fit for replace the hbw 100

kh3412

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,10060.0.html
You can follow along as I install a Twin Disk in my C34.
Got from Beta marine. Stanley was who I worked with, great guy.
https://www.betamarinenc.com/
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618