Mk II gas storage

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Laver

Happy New Year, all.

I've recently got a new dink to replace my 1999 9'2" Avon. Great boat, but things do wear out. The 8'9" RIB I replaced it with seems to require a bit more oomph than the 3.5hp Tohatsu 4-stroke I've been using. The manufacturer (Achilles) recommends a 6hp, so I've been looking at the Tohatsu or Yamaha 6hp 4-strokes but haven't pulled the trigger. I was talking to a cruiser friend and he offers me a free 8hp Yamaha 2-stroke that he bought new in Panama. Knowing him it's in good shape, but six years ago I got rid of an Evinrude 3hp 2-stroke and bought the 3.5 Tohatsu so I didn't have to find storage for both gas (the generator) and gas-oil mix for the outboard. If I accept the 8hp Yamaha I'm right back to where I was with figuring out how to accommodate two different kinds of fuel on a (relatively) small boat.

Has anyone come up with a good solution for gas storage on a Mk II ... or a Mk I for that matter? Right now I can store 5 gallons (one 2.5ga can, two 1.25ga cans) in the anchor locker fairly easily. If we go a long distance I can store a 5 ga can on the rail as well. Thanks.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

scgunner

Mick,

I'd jump on the 8hp two stroke, they're getting hard to come by and if you decide you don't want it it'll be easy to get rid of. I have a 15hp two stroke with a 6 gal fuel tank which stores easily in the side cockpit locker. Even with the 15hp 6 gal will last quite a long time and I don't store any additional fuel.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

lazybone

I'm a bit surprised about the nonchalant attitude re storing vented gas cans inside the boat. 

Braver than me.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Mick : I'm afraid there is not good storage solution for your situation - except if you add dink davits!!  I'd jump at that 2 stroke unless it doesn't have an external fuel tank. 

A thought 
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Mick- I may be interested in your 3.5 hp. if you make the switch. I am using a 2hp Honda on my 2001 Avon Rover roll-up and could use some more hp.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Roc

Realize the weight of a larger outboard (i.e. 8hp).  Do you really need something that big?  You'll need to wrestle it from somewhere on the boat, down to the dinghy in the water.  Balance the amount of power you really need to the weight of the outboard.  I have a Mariner (a.k.a Mercury) 3.3 hp, 2 stroke.  Easy to carry with one hand from the stern of the MkII, while using the other hand for grabbing and balancing.  The 3.3 hp is plenty power to move my Mercury 270 with two adults and one teenager to shore.  Bought it new the last year 2 strokes were available.  However 4 stroke engines have gotten smaller and lighter with the latest technologies since I bought my 2 stroke.  But still, I would really consider the weight of the 4 stroke vs. the amount of hp really needed. 
On my MkII, I store the 1 gallon "oil & gas mix" container under the removable stern seat (the seat that has the two clips on either side to hold it in place, right behind the wheel).  I put a bungee around the tank, and around the plexi insert that is slid in to stop things from rolling out of the cockpit.  That area is exposed and will allow the fumes to escape. Also, while cruising, one gallon of gas goes for a few days at least from my experience.  I'm usually in an area where I can access a fuel dock and I always have enough oil on hand for mixing.  A one gallon can works well with cruising on the Chesapeake.  Sounds like your cruising requires more gas to be carried.  If your outboard has an external tank or the capability of an external tank, did you take measurements of a 6 gallon tank that might fit in the area I'm referring to under the center seat?? These come in 3 gallons too.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--6-gallon-low-permeation-above-deck-fuel-tank--13854211?recordNum=2

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Breakin Away

I keep my 1 gal plastic gas can on the cockpit sole under the helm cover, just forward of the binnacle/cockpit table. The cover protects it from UV and rain, and any vapors heavier than air would just waft out the transom under the helm seat. (With my can, there are no vapor emissions, since the can expands and contracts with temperature, which it would not do if it leaked.)

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

britinusa

I'm a bit obsessed about Gasoline in lockers.

When we spent 3 weeks in the Abacos Bahamas, we had 2 5gal gas canisters secured to the stbd side rail (with 3 5 gal Diesel canisters) all of the gas cans had custom can covers made of Sunbrella. I have a SS tube between two stanchions with straps sewn to the covers that both keep the cover on in high winds and also secure the cans to the SS tube - using quick side release buckles - no tying involved.

We also had 4 6 gallon water tanks on the Port side. Those were the military style - tall thin canisters. I much prefer that style and am replacing both the gas and diesel canisters with the same style.

Our outboard is a 4hp Merc, it can use an external tank but we don't. I keep an empty 1 gallon jug in the stbd locker and fill it before taking the dink away from the boat. After stowing the engine on the rail mount, I empty the 1 gal tank  draining into a 5 gal tank. If necessary,  after leaving it to vent hanging over the side, so that I can store an empty, vented tank in the port side locker.

I have not yet figured out how long the engine will run with a full internal tank and a spare 1 gallon.

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Mick Laver

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. I've decided to accept my friend's gracious offer of the 8hp Yamaha 2-stroke. Fuel in the cockpit lockers is a non-starter, but I can replace my 1.25 ga and 2.5 ga gas containers with a single 3 ga mix that will live in the anchor locker when not on the dink. See picture. I only see using the generator on longer trips, and then I'd have one or two 5ga gas containers on the rail. I can just transfer some gas to an empty 1.25 ga for the generator or to the 3ga for the Yamaha. Well that's the working theory.

Yes the 8hp 2-stroke weighs more  (by 20 lbs) than my 3.5hp 4-stroke, and where I could just lift the 3.5 off the rail mount and place it in the dinghy we'll have to use our Garhauer davit to drop the 8hp. We tried to do this yesterday and my wife was able to drop and lift the 8hp fairly easily with the davit. That's good, but I'm somewhat concerned that it's a process I can no longer do myself. I have been resisting dinghy davits, but they may be in our future.

Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Jim Lucas

I have an electric outboard as I couldn't find a decent placement of fuel cans without taking away from the boat lines. I just couldn't sleep having fuel stored in any locker.
Jim Lucas
1999 MKII #1431, M35B, TR/FK 
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Victoria, BC Canada

Breakin Away

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

scgunner

Lazybone,

I'm not nonchalant about the storage of any type of fuel on or off the boat and I certainly wouldn't store it in a vented gas can or a glass jar or old paint can for that matter. I use a portable 6 gal gas tank for the dingy designed exclusively for that purpose. While it does have a vent when in use it can be closed forming a vapor tight seal for storage.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Mick Laver

Yeah I kind of lucked out. I think most boats of my vintage have the capstan-only version of the VW500. The first owner of the boat sailed out of Oxnard and cruised the Channel Islands frequently. Since the anchorages tend to be deeper he carried 100' of chain and 220' of 5/8" rope for his rode. He specified the combo head for the VW500 when he bought the boat. A friend bought a 2000 '34 about six years ago and tried to replace his capstan with the combo. No go, since Maxwell doesn't make them anymore. Quite frustrating for him, so he wound up replacing the 500 with a VW10-8.

Quote from: Breakin Away on January 28, 2020, 05:19:11 PM
Must be nice to have a gypsy for your chain.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

lazybone

Quote from: scgunner on January 29, 2020, 10:59:26 AM
Lazybone,

I'm not nonchalant about the storage of any type of fuel on or off the boat and I certainly wouldn't store it in a vented gas can or a glass jar or old paint can for that matter. I use a portable 6 gal gas tank for the dingy designed exclusively for that purpose. While it does have a vent when in use it can be closed forming a vapor tight seal for storage.

Problem solved. No worries. Carry on.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677