Automatic bilge pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Kaplan

I am planning on replacing the bilge pump that came with the boat, Rule with float switch, no longer pumps well.  Looking into the Rule 1100 GPH automatic pump and eliminate the float switch. Looking for feed back on this, who has converted to automatic as opposed to sticking with pump and float switch.  All reviews on automatic look pretty good.  Let me know your thoughts.

Jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ron Hill

Jeff : I replaced my original with a Rule 1500 and a separate float switch.  Just don't buy the cheapest float switch!!  -  you get what you pay for!!  I found that the cheapies tend to stick in the ON position and run down your batteries!!    :cry4`

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kaplan

Ron, when did you replace yours and wondering why you didn't go automatic, no float switch.

Ed Shankle

Jeff,
I replaced with a Rule 1500 two years ago, automatic switch. It has worked as advertised, no issues. The only thing to get used to is the test button. Since there is a delay and the button doesn't make a distinguishable click that you can feel, it may take a couple of tries to get it to run.
Also, I had to position it a bit off center in the bilge to line up with exit hose. Not a big deal, and yours may be different anyway.
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Jeff Kaplan

Roland Gendreau

I prefer a pump with a separate level switch.  The reason is that it is simple to test the switch and pump to make sure they work.   The last thing I do before releasing the boat to the yard for launching is to manually lift the switch to make sure the pump and switch will work.
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Jeff Kaplan

Point taken Roland, that's my set up now, still deciding which way to go.

Roland Gendreau

In my years of doing this, I have had one switch or pump that was found failed just before launch.  And one other time, I heard the pump running as I came aboard just after launching... a crack in the shaft log was allowing water to come in and the boat had to be pulled back out to repair it.    I was glad I had tested the switch/pump!!!
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Ron Hill

Jeff : Roland and I agree - easy to test. 
I've read that in a dirty/nasty bilge junk might be able to impede a internal float switch.  After my dealings with a cheap float switch - it stuck in the UP/ON position - I even glued a nickel (5 cent piece) on the top of the new float just to make sure that it never stuck in the UP position again!!

A few thoughts   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Ed Shankle

I had to replace my float switch a couple of times over the years, not sure what caused the breakdown, maybe getting frozen in bilge water over the winter? So I decided to try the built in switch instead. Like I said, so far no issues.
BTW, I do put antifreeze in the bilge, but it stratifies with water eventually, with the water on top, which freezes.
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA