Garhauer Rope Clutch Spring

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham

I have Garhauer rope clutches on my C34 Mk2. The starboard spring (on my outer clutch, starboard side of boat) has become unclipped from its aft retaining mount on the cam. Anybody got any ideas on how to re-clip the spring without dismantling the clutch.
Graham
C34 Mk II #1376 Smooth Jazz
Chichester, West Sussex, UK

Roc

Hi Graham
You might try to call Garhauer and see what they say.  They may ask you to send it back.  For the price of shipping it (should fit in a small USPS box at around $5-$6), they may upgrade it for a small fee.  Worth asking....
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Dave Spencer

Garhauer has excellent customer service.  Try calling 909-985-9993 in California or emailing them, maybe with a picture if you have it at info@garhauermarine.com.  I'm sure they will do all they can to assist you.  Hopefully, they will have a trick to get your spring back into place without removing the clutch and shipping it to them.

Let us know how you make out.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Graham

Thanks Rock, but unfortunately I am in UK so postage gets expensive.  However, I shall try and make a tool to drag the aft end of the spring back and then try and manoeuvre it round to clip-in.  As a back-up, have ordered a couple of cams from Garhauer (postage $40) and will dismantle after my final Christmas sail to Cowes (Isle of Wight) when I will have three months to figure-out how to do it.  Other clutches and the main-sheet jam appear to be in the way, so I guess they will have to come out as well.

Graham
Graham

Jim Hardesty

Graham,
Think I've had the same problem you described.  Troubleshooted to a loose flathead allen screw as my problem.  Was between the clutches so I had to cut down an allen wrench to fit, as I remember had to start screw with hemostats, was able to get everything back in place using flat head screwdrivers as prybars.  Didn't need to remove clutch to fix. 
That was last season, kept an eye on it and the rest them, didn't give me any more trouble. 
I agree with the other comments on Garhauser service.  It's very good.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Graham

Thanks all for your advice.

Eventually prized spring back with a flat headed screw driver and a cut-down metal coat-hanger with one end bent back to a very small U-shape - just sufficient to hook the end of the spring.

Again many thanks.

This now completes a 2 1/2 year rebuild and apart from below-decks autopilot, she is entirely factory specifications.

Graham
C34 mk2 #1376 'Smooth Jazz' built 1997.
Graham