Fuel gauge sender question- update

Previous topic - Next topic

Tallship2

I have a problem with my fuel gauge on my 1987 34. The gauge works because when I short across the sender post and the ground post the gauge reads over full. So I finally got in to look at the tank and here's what I found. The wire from the center pole on the fuel tank sender goes to the hot lead on the fuel pump. The a second wire goes from one of the mounting screws to a ground bracket on the tank and then on to the sender pole on the fuel gauge. Somehow this doesn't seem correct. Is this the way the wiring is supposed to go?

UPDATE- So I completely re-wired the sender and the tank. The sender now has a wire going directly to the sender post on the gauge. Also, the tank is now grounded, as is the sender. But the gauge still doesn't red anything. I checked the sender with a multi-meter and it reads 88 ohms, which correlates with what appears to be a little less that half a tank. I know all the grounds are good, because when I jump the tank ground post and the tank it reads 2 ohms, and when I put the ground on the sender post the gauge reads full (same wire). So what am I missing?

KWKloeber

No that is complete back-a$$wards.  No hot wire goes to the sender. Only a pink signal wire from the gauge.  And the body of the sender grounded.

[EDIT]
PS the gauge should pin low with the pink wire removed from the sender.
The pink wire is connected to the S terminal of the gauge and the gauge is sensing the impedance of the circuit to ground, thru the variable resistance of the level sender.
Hot juice goes to only the gauge.
The sender may be grounded directly to a 12v negative (the most reliable way) but it could also be grounded to the tank ( the tank should also be bonded to the negative buss (green 14 ga wire.))
Make sure there is a proper gauge ground - the OEM harness negative to the exhaust manifold stud is TERRIBLE and should be redone correctly.  As well the battery negative cable should be on a starter bolt, not on the bell housing.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Tallship2

Thanks, that's what I thought. The wiring is obviously not the original, as the wire going to the fuel pump is blue, and the wire going to the gauge is black. This is in line with the wind gauge which reads 180 degrees off and was obviously put on backwards.

DaveBMusik

Ahhh, PO can mean previous owner. It can also mean pissed off...
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

KWKloeber

Quote from: Tallship2 on November 24, 2019, 06:02:54 PM

Thanks, that's what I thought. The wiring is obviously not the original, as the wire going to the fuel pump is blue, and the wire going to the gauge is black. This is in line with the wind gauge which reads 180 degrees off and was obviously put on backwards.

You're obviously headed the wrong direction, turn the pointy end around.

A light blue wire is ABYC standard for oil pressure, and dark blue is lighting circuits.
And black is **always** a DCv negative (unless it's an ACv hot) :shock: Outch.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Tallship2

sailaway

Your sending unit is bad just take it out and replace with a new one. Done it a few times. They never seem to last. I usually take the wall off in the aft cabin. Charlie