new Danfoss Controller not working?

Previous topic - Next topic

Joyride

Hey gang,

I've been trouble shooting my adler barbour cold machine and coming up empty.  About 2 years ago I bought a new module but never put it on because I found I had a bad thermostat after I used a jumper between the T and C.  The new thermostat solved the issue and I've been running it fine since then. 

I'm getting 12.6v to the pc board and then to the Danfoss(secop) module reads same.  The compressor doesn't come on, or fan, and I get no blinking lights.  I found the module that I bought before and put that on.  Same thing, power, no fan, no compressor, and no lights.  I also ran the thermostat jumper again and that did not help. 

Also when I click on the power I'm not even getting a voltage drop as if the compressor is trying to turn on.

Is there a way to test that the module is sending power to the compressor?   Fuses on the pc board are fine.  Are there any fuses in the control module?
1991 Catalina 34 (mk 1.5) Universal M35 Wing Keel

Stu Jackson

jr,

Don't know if you've sen these from the 101 Topics thread:

Fridges 101 (Adler Barbour Repairs & Troubleshooting from Richard Kollmann)

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6956.0.html

Fridge Follies 101 - to prove that Richard is right and that 99% of fridge issues are electrical & includes electronic module resource

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3044.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Krawford

I've had problems with the PC board on my unit - burned 10 amp fuse and burned traces on the board.  I found a used board and that worked for one day and then died.  As I understand it, the PC board is basically a diagnostic device with the LED blinks telling you why your system isn't running.  I ran the pos. and neg. 12VDC leads directly to the Danfoss module and the system is now working.
My conclusion (right or wrong) is that my replacement PC board is also fried.  I've also found Adler Barbour's phone support to be very good.  Little or no hold time and knowledgeable techs on the other end.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

Joyride

Thanks for the responses Ken and Stu.  I ended up chucking the PC board and wiring directly to the module with a 15 amp inline fuse to the danfoss as recommended.  I then added my own led bulb for diagnostics.  There are some surprisingly good videos on Youtube on how to do this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR_Ro6PGGfo

I used my existing danfoss module and everything fired up and has been running and cooling for the last 2 weeks no problemo.  I couldn't really tell what was happening in the board but it wasn't sending enough power to the danfoss when hooked up.  Changed fuses as well as small thermo fuse on back of board.   

Easy way to check the board is to hook up positive and negative leads straight to the danfoss and jump the Thermostat slots.  compressor started right away. 

1991 Catalina 34 (mk 1.5) Universal M35 Wing Keel