stored bow down

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

i'm not certain if my boat is backwards or just bow down, in the cradle but it's not right.  this is the cradle the boat came with, from Catalina (which I just got back, after years, from a marina in Canada) but the yard I took it to, for storage, is all new people (new ownership after a bankruptcy) and the bow is down.  how much damage could this cause my boat?  i did put the cover on, got all the ice and water out of the cockpit, beforehand, and took a turkey baster to the front of the bilge, and took out the bilge plug out.  how much possible damage could the boat, being bow down and/or backwards in the cradle, be looking at?

thanks

becki kain detroit
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

scgunner

Becki,

How far down is the bow and how water tight is your boat? If my boat was bow down there would be a problem with water collecting in the uncovered cockpit but I believe it would reach the rear cockpit drains before it could overrun the bulkhead and get into the interior. The rest of my boat is tight and wouldn't be an issue at whatever angle, fore or back. My boat sits in the water year round however I'd think if you couldn't store it level slightly stern down would be preferable.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

anaisdog

it's hard to measure and hard to see in the pictures but i did get all the water out of the cockpit, at least what was there.  there will be some water coming in, from the cover not being 100% solid.

scgunner

Becki,

Just saw your pics, it doesn't look like much of a problem, either tell the yard guys to level it or get a couple of yard jacks and a few sheets of plywood and do it yourself if they won't.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

anaisdog

how?  and the yard is "too busy", and i'm moving next year, i guess

Ted Pounds

Remind the yard manager that if they don't get your boat stored properly then they are responsible for any resulting damage due to their improper storage. If you have a lawyer that can put that in writing that would help even more to get their attention. Good luck.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

anaisdog

I will.  I'm just bummed out they won't fix it.  I don't want to move (and soon, before our river freezes)

Jim Hardesty

Becki,
I agree your boats wasn't set correctly.  Think Ted's suggestion to document, to the yard manager, in writing, your concerns, is excellent, even if you don't use a lawyer. Think the placement of the front pads are as much problem as being level.  I would resist the urge to improve the level using the front pads, may create the infamous Catalina smile.  Would also check that the yard didn't overtighten.  I have seen a drawing of the cradle from Catalina.  I believe it gives dimensions on setting the boat.  If you can't find by searching I may have made a hard copy.
Hopefully you can check on your boat every couple of weeks during the winter and check that the cockpit isn't flooding.
Here's to a short winter,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

anaisdog

if you have it, that would be great.  and yes, i can visit every week, if i need to.
  thank you

Bill Shreeves

Anaisdog,
See this post on this forum from last Spring by Mas Tequila when their boat was stored bow down in their cradle.   Its a sad story...

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,10190.0.html
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

scgunner

Becki,

If the yard won't remedy and you don't feel comfortable making adjustments yourself the next best thing might be to tarp the cockpit. You can get an inexpensive plastic tarp from Harbor Freight large enough to cover the entire cockpit, this along with some bungee cords and some nylon line you should be able to make the cockpit relatively watertight. Next, find a new place to store your boat.

anaisdog

i've got a huge cover on there, its just not water tight, it's in 3 pieces from north shore canvas

Ron Hill

Becki : Go to your owners manual page 5.2   It shows the measurements of the shipping cradle.  Measure and you can confirm if the boat is? or is not? in the cradle correctly!! 
The bow should be 5' 5" ground to pad and the stern should be 4' 11" ground to pad!
The bow cradle verticals are angled inward and the stern verticals are straight.

You should show the yard manager a picture of that page.

Guys: You should always keep a picture of that page onboard to show the yard - so they know where to position the lifting straps!!   I have placed "lifting decals" on the hull just under the rub rail -easily done!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788