Join the C34 Association Today!
[C34 Home] [C34Tech Notes] [C34 Tech Wiki] [Join!]
Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winterization anit-freeze for two winters  (Read 250 times)

Roc

• Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Winterization anit-freeze for two winters
« on: November 15, 2019, 12:36:33 PM »

Hi everyone,
This past season we didn't put Sea Life in the water.  With other plans over the summer, we decided to take a hiatus.  Everything was winterized for last winter and over the summer, we did not do or change anything to the systems.  I'm thinking since everything has been untouched, we can go through another winter.  Any thoughts if I'm missing something?
Thanks!!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Rock Hall, MD

KWKloeber

• Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy
  • "Positive Impact" 1984 C-30 #3573 trbsfk M-25
    • View Profile
Re: Winterization anit-freeze for two winters
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 05:38:04 PM »

Roc
The only thing you’re missing — is one season of sailing.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 04:31:29 AM »

Roc,
What about the transmission.  I believe it's recommended to overfill for extended storage.  FWIW my previous boat was in storage for 15 years before I purchased, except for mud wasps nest that I kept finding for years, the boat never gave me a bit of problems.
Here's to a great sailing season, year after next.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Roland Gendreau

• Forum - Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 07:17:31 PM »

I would think the engine and potable water systems should be fine.  I assume you are managing bilge water accumulation and have properly stored the batteries.  I would also make sure the boat is well ventilated and the opportunity for mold is minimized.  And make sure no critters have found a home.
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Bill Shreeves

• Forum - Petty Officer 2nd Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 08:00:34 AM »

is the raw water impeller still installed?  I read some time ago its ideal to remove over the winter because they can become more difficult to remove the longer they're installed.  Since having read that, I remove mine after winterizing and leave the cover off the pump to remind me to reinstall when I commission her.  This isn't a big deal but might be worth considering.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Roc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 02:53:11 PM »

Thanks for the tips...  the transmission is overfilled.  I do it every fall, so that's set.  I plan on changing the impeller in the spring, but good tip about difficulty getting out.  My guess is the rubber could get stuck in the housing.  I guess I'll see.  The batteries are topped off.  I was there two weeks ago to give the boat an overall check and had the charger plugged in.  I have a custom canvas winter cover which does not trap in moisture like a plastic shrink wrap could.  Also, I've kept up with keeping the damp rid moisture absorbers changed throughout the summer and I also used tea tree oil.  I freshened both those a couple weeks ago.  Never get water in the bilge, deck stepped mast.  Just in case, I pour a few cups of pink antifreeze in the bilge.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 02:57:05 PM by Roc »
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Rock Hall, MD

KWKloeber

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 12:40:40 PM »

>>I read some time ago its ideal to remove over the winter because they can become more difficult to remove the longer they're installed<<

It’s that the impeller fins can become “set” at the bend they’re in, in the body if left installed. Not good.
Also, put some SuperLube on the shaft so the impeller hub doesn’t get stuck on it. You can remove the whole shaft to remove the impeller, no problem (presuming it’s an Oberdorfer pump.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 04:30:34 PM »

Guys : I posted (many years ago) to remove the impeller, inspect it and I squirt it with silicone to keep it nimble. Then in the spring turn it around so the blades get to bend in the opposite direction than they did the previous year!!

A few thoughts  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Bill Shreeves

• Forum - Petty Officer 2nd Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 04:14:04 AM »

>>I read some time ago its ideal to remove over the winter because they can become more difficult to remove the longer they're installed<<

It’s that the impeller fins can become “set” at the bend they’re in, in the body if left installed. Not good.
Also, put some SuperLube on the shaft so the impeller hub doesn’t get stuck on it. You can remove the whole shaft to remove the impeller, no problem (presuming it’s an Oberdorfer pump.)

I thought the concern was that the impeller itself can become stuck on the shaft.  Especially with the Sherwood since you can pop the shaft out with the Oberdorfer to replace the impeller.  BTW, I've found the Oberdorfer to be a nice upgrade from the Sherwood on M25XPB.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

KWKloeber

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 05:32:06 PM »

I thought the concern was that the impeller itself can become stuck on the shaft.  Especially with the Sherwood since you can pop the shaft out with the Oberdorfer to replace the impeller.  BTW, I've found the Oberdorfer to be a nice upgrade from the Sherwood on M25XPB.

It's both, but even lubing the shaft can't help the issue of the fins breaking.
So -- it will pump whether or not the impeller is seized on the shart -- but the unseen and unknown problem of broken fins is an issue because, well, no fins no pumping.
Pages: [1]   Go Up