New sails Experiences/Recommendations

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Patches : Ulman did a great headsail (Laminate, leach & foot lines, and foam luff) for me. Now is definitely the time of year to by sails!!

Good Luck Shopping,  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

DaveBMusik

Quote from: KWKloeber on November 21, 2019, 06:02:30 PM
Quote from: Ted Pounds on November 15, 2019, 11:26:14 AM

I always roll mine up so the sheets are wrapped around the furled sail about 3 or 4 times. It may not look as neat, but it prevents that from happening.

Another thing I do for "storage" is to use one of the old (3/8? 5/16"?) reefing lines that PO had on my original main.  It's maybe 24" long?  Just enough for two wraps around the furled sail, one wrap above, one below the sheets - which I can reach on the 30 standing on the pulpit, and a square knot.  She's safe and sound.

Prior to astorms, I always take my spinnaker halyard and wrap the forestay in the opposite direction as the sail. 10 or 12 wraps is easy insurance.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI always roll mine up so the sheets are wrapped around the furled sail about 3 or 4 times. It may not look as neat, but it prevents that from happening.

My way is to have the 3-4 wraps of the sheets when all the furling line is off the drum, pull the furling line and sheets snug and cleat.  If I'm going to be away or if strong winds are expected use a sail-tie above the clew.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

glennd3

Patches how is the new Jib?

Quote from: Patches on November 21, 2019, 07:39:14 AM
Thanks, as always, for everyone's feedback.  After much research and input, here is my experience and ultimate decision.

The quotes received from sailmakers/dealers often made it difficult to compare "apples to apples."  Except for Mack Sails, the quotes received were for sails  made offshore but with some form of quality control by the various sailmakers.  I found the differences to be as follows:

1.  Rolly Tasker/National: Very helpful, calls answered or returned same day.  Construction in Thailand, QC in Florida.  Customer provides sail measurements.  Sail options determined by boat size.  For Catalina 34 owners, this means the sails fall within the "Coastal Cruising." The construction appears to be a good value (crosscut construction, sunbrella UV cover, 8 ounce "high modulus" dacron fabric)  at the base price of $1640.  If you want a foam luff, however, there is a $165 upcharge.  Shipping was quoted at "about $100." My inquiry about using Tenara UV thread on the UV cover was dismissed as being 'too expensive."

2.  Precision Sails: Very helpful, calls answered or returned same day.  Construction in China, QC in Victoria, BC. Customer provides sail measurements. Great website with lots of information about sailcloth, and lots of Youtube videos showing sails sail features prior to being shipped to customers. Detailed quotes based on graduated level of quality sought (300 level, 400 level, or 500 level (offshore).  Options also available for "crosscut", "tri-radial," and "racing".  Precision starts with low quotes for the basic sail category, but then upcharges for things like Sunbrella UV cover (+$137), foam luff (+$120), double tape edges (+$109 with Offshore package), and clew reinforcement (+$169 for Elite package).  No taxes, shipping quoted as "about $100."

3.  Mack Sails:  Helpful website, prompt response to request for quote.  Construction in Florida.  Customer provides sail measurements.  Different approach to sailmaking, in that believes in same upper level of quality for all sails/sailcloth.  Constructs headsails using a "mitre cut" construction (vs. crosscut), Marblemount sail cloth, Sunbrella UV cover with Tenara thread, foam luff, all double taped edges and leather reinforced clews, and special detail on leech/foot lines to avoid wear though of lines.  Impressive.  Offseason quote for 125% furling genoa at just under $2500, and no upcharges.

4.  Local lofts:  Very responsive. Will measure for sail and bend on when received.  Construction at the Quantum loft in Sri Lanka, QC at the local lofts.  Will construct in "Crosscut", "tri-radial", and "racing." Base level offered in "offshore" construction with Marblemount sailcloth, Sunbrella UV cover sewed on with Tenara thread, foam luff, double taped edges, and leather reinforced clew.  Quote for Crosscut at $2000, and $2285 for "Tri-radial" using Newport Pro-Radial dacron sailcloth. No shipping, but local sales taxes of 9%.

Based on the quotes, and my personal needs, I elected to go with my local sailmaker in a "tri-radial" offshore furling genoa.  I paid an upcharge ($50) for a non-standard Sunbrella cover of Silver.  Tri-radial, I learned, is a different construction than the "mitre-cut" offered by Mack Sails. It is generally understood to be a superior construction for sail shape because it orients the loads on the sail in the same direction as the sail cloth leading to less stretch over time.  That should translate into longer life for the sail.  Cross-cut construction, which is the easiest and cheapest way to construct a sail, is usually more than adequate for most boat owners--especially when it is made of high quality fabric like Marbelmount.  As a charter captain I can be out three times a day in the high season, and my sails get more use than those of a typical boat.   I went with a tri-radial furling genoa for both the superior shape and lower stretch. Hopefully it will also prove to be longer lived.

I hope my experience can be used by others wading into this process.

Patches
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland