head sail

Previous topic - Next topic

lucky

what are measurements for 120 head sail on standard rig c34
lucky
c34 hull#13
lake Texoma tx

Stu Jackson

The measurements are based on the luff perpendicular.  You determine the height of the clew.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Patches

If you are looking for dimensions as to the overall sail, and specifically the luff length, you also need to consider the kind of luff attachment you have.  For instance, if you have hank-on sails then that would be one measurement.  If you use a penant, that would be a different luff measurement of the sail.  If you use a roller furler, a still different measurement and depends on the brand of furler.  Finally, if you have a furler with long link plates--to raise the tack and foot off the deck for greater visibility under the headsail-- that also needs to be figured into luff length.

Hope this helps.

Stu Jackson

lucky,

I forgot to mention that the IJPE measurements are included in the C34 owners manual, available in the tech wiki in case you don't have a hard copy.

I have long link plates on my furler, and the standard OEM 110 jib I have, not made by Catalina/Ullman but by Leading Edge, a very good San Francisco sail maker back in the 80s, gets the clew up off the deck for very good visibility.  The cut of the jib appears to be identical to the OEM C34 working jib, just that my PO bought his sails from a local vendor instead of getting the stock sails, because back then the stock sails sucked.  After a few years, in the early 90s, Catalina finally improved the quality of the stock sails by Ullman in Southern California.

OTOH, the skippers I raced with back in the late 90s & early 00s, all had 130 deck sweepers.  Our Fleet 1 PHRF ratings gave us a handicap for furlers, off the deck and smaller headsails (i.e., less than 130).  Because the racing skippers were true Corinthians, the handicaps as developed over the years were and remain a true model of fairness for all competitors.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."