Hour meter

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwayne Godfrey

Hi we bought our first boat love our 34 it has low hours 1443 so I thought after using her for the past month or so found we still have the same hours any ideas on how to fix the hour meter

Ken Juul

Common problem.  Buy one on Amazon or a local car parts store.  I mounted mine so it was visible through the engine access door in the head.  Wire it to the output of the alternator and ground.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

KWKloeber

Ken

To the AO terminal? That would be hot whenever the battery selector switch has a battery connected, no?
I'd wire an HM to the alt field excite circuit (purple harness wire,) which is hot when the key is on.  Or to the fuel pump feed wire.

Dwayne
Many body mfgrs put the HM and or fuel gauge at the nav panel.

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Dwayne : I've even heard of some that wired an hour meter to the blower switch!, but to the fuel pump is the best in my mind!!

You can also see if soldering the existing wire connectors to the tach might help for a better connection?

A few thoughts   
Ron, Apache #788

scgunner

Dwayne,

My hour meter also stopped working at around 1500 hours, I installed one at the Nav Station. Whatever you do you'll need one to determine intervals between maintenance procedures.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273