Air draft?

Previous topic - Next topic

dfloeter

Does anyone offhand know how high the tall rig projects off the water?
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Gregory M

My mast (tall rig 1990) is 51.5 feet long(tall). Given that mast base is below water line about 1.5 foot (rough assumption), air draft roughy 50', hope that helps..
Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

Ron Hill

Greg : I always used 50ft for may standard rig.  I'd use 52' for the tall rig.

My thought
Ron, Apache #788

dfloeter

Thanks for the answers.  Our stick is 45' 2" long and I have always been guessing about the height of mast step to water.   We are looking at a 55 or 56 foot bridge in Charleston SC in a few days and wanted some reassurance that I was not too far off base.   The Dismal Swamp took my Windex a couple of weeks ago and I am still feeling sensitive.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Stu Jackson

Quote from: dfloeter on October 27, 2019, 01:42:43 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Our stick is 45' 2" long and I have always been guessing about the height of mast step to water.   

We are looking at a 55 or 56 foot bridge in Charleston SC in a few days and wanted some reassurance that I was not too far off base.   The Dismal Swamp took my Windex a couple of weeks ago and I am still feeling sensitive.

I have a standard rig and have always used 55 feet.  To me, Dietrich, the height of the mast step from the water is useless info, 'cuz it's under the water line.

What I used was the IJPE info in the manual and determined the height of the deck at the mast from the water.

Then I added a foot or two for the antenna.

If you're THAT close as you said for the bridges, I suggest you do what I did and decide just how much "wiggle room" you personally feel comfortable with.

I must admit I had no fixed bridges in The Bay Area (they were either draw or swing bridges), but I always wanted to "know."

That how I did it for my own piece of mind.

Here in southwestern B.C. all I have to deal with are "low hanging" power wires.  Then I get to convert feet to meters!!!  :D:D:D

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Phil Spicer

You could tie a line to a halyard and run it up to the top of the mast. Mark the length
at the deck level and then measure the line. There's your mast height above deck. Lay a long
boat hook across the deck and measure boat hook to water. Add those dimensions plus anything
on the top of the mast (light antenna etc.) Allow a little for clearance and you should be good to go.
Almost forgot, pray or wait for low tide.
   Good luck.

Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

You could try this.  Please take video if you do, I'd like to see a Catalina 34 do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiv0fxFcV3I

Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Jim : They do that in Florida all the time going form the east to the west coast!!   LOW fixed RR bridge.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

dfloeter

Ok, I know the length of the extrusion, 45'2", and I can tie the whisker pole off athwart ship and measure both ends to the water and average the figures. Adding two feet for the masthead gear should make me more comfortable.  It will be interesting just how close to the original ballpark figure of 52' it really is.  Meanwhile we have the slip reserved in two days so there is no time to waste.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Noah

You can also tie some weight (water jugs?) to the whisker pole and tip/incline the boat that way if you need a little extra insurance?  8) a pole lift/topping lift on the whisker pole would also be advisable to counteract the strain on the pole.  We used to use that incline/tipping method when measuring incline on IOR class rated race boats back in the day.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ken Krawford

Ron, I've heard that "Billy the boat tipper" has retired and no one has taken his place.

Quote from: Ron Hill on October 28, 2019, 03:09:56 PM
Jim : They do that in Florida all the time going form the east to the west coast!!   LOW fixed RR bridge.

A thought
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

dfloeter

Sitting in a low country creek, I measured and found there is no need to hang a water filled dinghy off the boom end.  Literally measured with the entire antenna figured in, the result is where I started at 52' from the water.  End of tale. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20