Mast Refinish

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Shreeves

While my mast is down, I'm thinking about sprucing up the appearance of my unpainted, un-anodized mast because its looking tired.    I've researched painting and it looks like it should have several coats of high-quality primer as well as several coats of high-quality top finish paint which is time-consuming including the time between coats, hard to have a clean environment out in a boat yard and both are fairly expensive.   No point in doing it half-way right?   I've read that, assuming a quality paint job, its common for chipping etc. after 5 or so years.  I've also read that its not uncommon for corrosion to appear under the paint as evidenced by blistering.

A buddy with a '93 C34 also took his mast down at the same time at our yard.  His mast is painted.  He doesn't know when it was painted.  For all he knows its original.  It has some chips, scratches.  It also has a bit of blistering around the bottom 6".

While researching painting and looking in YouTube as well, I ran across someone that stripped very old paint off his aluminum mast, polished it and coated it with the EverBrite a clear coat product. The video was made several years ago and the poster has updated a few times saying it's still looking really good several years ago.  The mfg. says it never chips and it looks really easy to get a quality and you can apply several coats in one day.  So, I'm strongly considering this since I'm not necessarily interested in color, just a nice looking, cared for mast.

Does anyone have experience with EverBrite or similar products on unpainted metal or any thoughts on this?

If interested in the video just search YouTube for Everbrite Mast.  The mfg. site is www dot everbritecoatings dot com
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

KWKloeber

Bill

No info on clear-coating, but can say I painted my spars maybe 22? yrs ago.  No chipping (well except on the boom where it was my fault.)  I did all the prep, a client who manufactured/painted redimix truck aluminum bodies ordered for me the Dupont products to use, and a friend sprayed it in the yard (a couple of hrs total one no-wind afternoon.) 
I prepped by sanding, removing all paint, etching. 
The day of painting I cleaned again (3M pads), used an etch w/ 3M pads, he sprayed an etching primer, a 2nd primer, and 2 coats Dupont Imron finish.  All were very quick drying.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Bill Shreeves

Quote from: KWKloeber on December 08, 2019, 02:09:56 PM
Bill

No info on clear-coating, but can say I painted my spars maybe 22? yrs ago.  No chipping (well except on the boom where it was my fault.)  I did all the prep, a client who manufactured/painted redimix truck aluminum bodies ordered for me the Dupont products to use, and a friend sprayed it in the yard (a couple of hrs total one no-wind afternoon.) 
I prepped by sanding, removing all paint, etching. 
The day of painting I cleaned again (3M pads), used an etch w/ 3M pads, he sprayed an etching primer, a 2nd primer, and 2 coats Dupont Imron finish.  All were very quick drying.

22 years?  That's impressive.  Also it makes sense that it would dry quickly when sprayed.  Unfortunately, I have no practical experience spraying with anything other than a can of paint.   So not sure if spraying a mast would be a good place for me to start.

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Ron Hill

Bill : There are two things that I regret getting on my boat (for EXTRA cost) is the painted mast (maintenance) and the gray (rather than white) anti-skid deck - heat!!   :cry4`

Personally, I'd put a coat of good metal Wax on your unpainted mast and leave it as is!!

My thought 

Ron, Apache #788

Bill Shreeves

Ron: Thanks, our org's thoughts are what I'm looking for.    Before I saw the EverBrite, I was seriously thinking about just trying Mothers Aluminum Polish.   Funny you mentioned the gray anti-skid.  I have tan and have thought out someday painting to gray.  Is the regret because its painted or the color choice?

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

scgunner

Bill,

If you polish your mast you'll have to keep on polishing it or apply a clear coat. My mast was painted when the boat was commissioned and I have no regrets in fact after seeing a number of bare masts from that era I'm pretty happy the dealer painted it.

Ron,

If you don't like the color of your non-skid why don't you just repaint it. I've repainted my non-skid a couple of times to just freshen the boat. It can be done easily with a roller and brush. BTW, it's gray.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Jon W

What did you use to paint/repaint the non-skid? Thanks.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Bill : Any colored anti skid draws more heat in the summer and is hard to match touchup!!! 
Look at any Hinkley or an old Bristol and they all have a white topside anti skid! 

A thought 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

My1981 Catalina 22 had tan non-skid.

My1981 Catalina 25 had tan non-skid.

My1986 Catalina 34 has tan non-skid.

I sailed all of them in Northern California, where it got HOT during the days in The California Delta, but cooled off at night.

After sailing my C34 from SF to British Columbia in 2016, I've learned it doesn't get that hot here (for too long if it does :D), and the cooler water temperatures compensate.

The tan hides the dirt which eventually happens, as does the grey.

Just look at white cars compared to the tan or grey ones.

Your boat, your choice.  :D

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bill Shreeves

Kevin,
When you say painted when commissioned, do you mean it's first commissioning in '87?

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Analgesic

At our club south of Boston a fellow member painted the mast of his classic NY 40 with Rustoleum medium gloss a few years ago and it looked great.  I followed suit on my tired and chipping 1988 mast last winter-light sanding followed by two coats-took my wife and I < 1 hour for each, total cost about $8 (one quart) and it looks great.  It is now being stored with mast out in the New England Weather for its first Winter but my friends still looks great after 2 winters.  I keep thinking of all the things I can buy with the money I saved...sounds like a new main sail!
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

scgunner

Bill,

Yes, when the boat was first commissioned in '87. Stan Miller was at that time the local dealer in Long Beach, every Catalina he sold had the mast painted white.

Jon,

I use Interlux Kingston Gray #4190 with their flattening agent, I believe that was the original color Catalina used for their gray decks. You'll have to experiment with the parts to get the flatness you prefer. Some people like a matte look with just a hint of a shine while others like a dead flat finish.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Bill : You have a mast that does NOT require maintenance like a painted mast.  After I come down from the top of my white painted mast - my legs and shorts are WHITE!!  :cry4`  I did promise my 1st Mate that I would stop going up a mast when I'm 90 - FYI, not that far away!!    :shock:

Stu : Have had white autos since 1995 and LOVE them!!  Just feel your tan deck (when the sun is out) and then your white deck - quite a difference!!!  Where you are now is GREAT for a colored deck.  YES, My boat My choice!!   

A few thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788

sailr4

Quote from: Bill Shreeves on December 08, 2019, 12:07:53 PM
While my mast is down, I'm thinking about sprucing up the appearance of my unpainted, un-anodized mast because its looking tired.   

I'm 99% sure your aluminum mast is Anodized.  Un-anodized aluminum does not last long in the marine environment.  That said, my mast is painted and I wish it wasn't.  It need a bit of help that I have no desire to give it.

Rob
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Jim Hardesty

FWIW   I take my mast (anodized) down every 5 years, of course sooner if needed.  Then inspect everything and wax it with auto wax, Turtle wax or equivalent.  Gives it a constant nice finish.  This works well for my 6 months sailing season in fresh water.  I would be concerned with any coating around the sail slides.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA